Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Unissued Fat Dish

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by fischer, Jun 12, 2010.

1. fischer

fischer Member

Hi Guys

Just picked this one up as I am fond of certain Bakelite items. This is the first one I have managed to get with the glass insert still intact.

Best Regards, fischer

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Well done Fischer. Though I dont collect personal stuff, I like this piece.

3. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

what's a fat dish ?? and what's inside the wrapped paper.. sorry i'm just curious

4. fischer

fischer Member

Hello Suzie

Whats inside the paper is the glass dish which most of the time is missing when these are found...probably broken during use.

A Fat or Butter dish was standard issue to all Soldat and contained his ration of fat or butter for cooking.

The standard issued ration was
    Bread, Soup, margarine/butter, Schoko-Kola, 1 or 2 cans of Iron Ration meat.

The Butter was kept in his fat dish.

Best regards, fischer

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

This is one of those items which I've often thought of adding to my collection and never have, probably because it isn't 'sexy' enough....and now I see prices going ever upwards. An essential piece of any re-enactors' kit, I suppose.....

6. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

found this one for sale fischer, and there not cheap eh...

Item 6122 WW2 German Orange bakelite fat container
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    IA fine example of what the German refer to as "Kammerstuck" meaning "un-issued". This bakelite fat container is perfect with no wear, no stripped threads, only a tiny chip on one edge as seen in the photo. Made of bakelite (NOT plastic) with two sets of interlocking threads which open with a 1/4 twist. You can tell your wife that you have bought the perfect butter dish and see what she says. Price $55.00