Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Unit/divison crests?

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by 09cs, Sep 13, 2015.

1. 09cs

09cs Member

I'm trying to find the unit crests for the units my grandfather was with during his time in the service to possibly include in a medal display.

He was with Co. C, 64th Armored Infantry, 16th Armored Division, Co. E, 302nd Infantry Regiment, 94th Infantry Division (most likely assigned to after the war during the occupation) and was with the 80th as well I believe for a time (That's the last patch that was on his dress uniform so I believe he was sent home with them in Jan. '46)

Any help would be appreciated, I already have the division patches.

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Not to nit pick, but the 302nd was a regiment, not a battalion. If you are looking to acquire the DUI's, you may want to try a forum that specializes in militaria and WWII collectibles. Here is a thread on a militaria forum regarding the 302nd DUI. There's a decent pic of the DUI.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

94th Infantry
    [​IMG]
    16th Armored
    [​IMG]
    I suspect that you mean regiments instead of battalions. Here is the crest for the 302nd Infantry
    [​IMG]

64th Armored Infantry
    [​IMG]

4. 09cs

09cs Member

Yes you are both correct, I meant regiments.

Thank you Lrusso for the pics, and thank you for the link Tommy

Buten42 likes this.
  5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

6. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Stanton shows the 64th Armored Infantry Battalion was attached to the 16th Armored Division-which is the unit tim's grandfather was with. The weird thing is, it doesn't show anything at all for the 64th armored Infantry Regiment, nor the 64th Infantry Regiment.

But if you google 64th armored Infantry Regiment it shows they were attached to the 3rd Infantry division and their unit crest is the one Lou displayed. I looked at the 3rd ID in Stanton and it doesn't show the 64th was attached.

I brought up Saunders, a company that specializes in crests and unit insignia, and they show the crest Lou displayed as belonging to the 64th Armored Infantry Battalion, not regiment. I'm not sure who belongs to that crest of If there was a 64th armored Infantry Regiment.

09cs likes this.
  7. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

The 64th Armored Infantry Regiment was constituted as part of the 10th Armored Division. It was broken up in 1943 under the armored division reorganization with part reformed as the 64th Armored Infantry Battalion, which was then assigned to the 16th Armored Division. At no time did the 64th AIR ever serve overseas, so I am unsure how you managed to google it as attached to the 3d Infantry Division?

8. Buten42

Buten42 Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64th_Armor_Regiment

Mystery solved. The 64th Armored Infantry Regiment was reorganized in the 50's and served with the 3rd ID in Korea.
    And thanks for the history on the 64th AIR--now I know why it wasn't in Stanton for WWII but the battalion was.

So did the 64th Armored Infantry Battalion use the elephant head crest in WWII?

Skipper likes this.
  9. 09cs

09cs Member

From what I can find, the 64th Regiment used the elephant crest, without the "we pierce" writing, and not the AIB
    Thanks for the quick history lesson!
    That is the question, I am still trying to figure that out on my end as well, going to reach out to the 16th association to see if they would know

10. RichTO90

Sorry, but history lessons about the U.S. Army's organization are hard, mostly because its the U.S. Army. :cool: Please try to follow this rather convoluted narrative and try not to blame me; I'm only the messenger. :dazed:

No, the "64th Regiment" did not use the elephant crest, with or without the "we pierce" scroll. At least the 64th Armored Infantry Regiment and later battalion did not.

The "We Pierce" Elephant Head crest is the heraldic device for the 64th Armored Regiment, not the 64th Armored Infantry Regiment. They are quite literally two different beasts. The 64th Armored Regiment was created in 1963 as part of the U.S. Army Regimental System and is descended from the 64th Heavy Tank Battalion, which was the postwar (1949) redesignation of the wartime 758th Tank Battalion (Light), which served in Italy. The 64th Heavy Tank Battalion served in the Korean War attached to the 3d Infantry Division. Neither had anything to do with the 10th Armored Division or the 64th Armored Infantry Regiment or battalion.

The 64th Infantry Regiment was part of the 14th Infantry Brigade of the 7th Infantry Division in World War I, but was disbanded in 1922. It was reconstituted in World War II on 18 July 1942, but was organized as the 64th Armored Infantry Regiment. The crest of the 64th Infantry Regiment from World War I is http://www.saundersinsignia.com/64thinfantryregimentcolorpatch.aspx

but I do not know if it was used in World War II, I suspect it may not have been, since the regiment actually only existed as such for a little over a year.

BTW, the place to check for heraldic insignia, especially obscure units, is the U.S. Army Military History Institute (USAMHI) and Army Historical Education Center (AHEC) at Carlisle, PA. They are very good about responding to requests like this through their website and are even more helpful if you visit them directly.

Cheers!

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  11. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Thanks for all the effort to figure this out and the tip on the History Institute. You're quite right, infantry regiment, armored regiment and an armored infantry regiment are all completely different units--and than throw in the armored infantry battalion with the same unit number and it all becomes convoluted.
    The 64th Armored Infantry Battalion had it's own identity ( rather then being part of a regiment, as in " 2nd battalion, 67th Armored Regiment) so it would have had it's own battalion crest. What it was may be impossible to locate.

12. RichTO90

Not neccesarily. Most units adopted some form of unit insignia, typically down to battalion, but not all did. More problematic though is the 64th AIB was a wartime unit only, many of which never had their unit crests officially recognized. However, the best source for if an official or unofficial crest was created is the USAMHI. Tell them exactly what you are looking for and they will tell you if it exists. They did so for my Dad's 537th AAA AW BN (Mob) and should be able to do the same for you.

Good luck!

13. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I sent them a request, I'll post the results. Should be interesting.
    Thanks

RichTO90 likes this.
  14. 09cs

09cs Member

Thank you all so much for the help you are providing! And thank you for the lead on the History Institute! Thanks for putting a request in Dave, I can't wait to see the post results!

15. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I have not heard back from the Institute. I'll send another and see if I can shake something loose. You may have your display made but I'm still interested.