Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Units Landing in Normandy - Day by Day Chronology?

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by VT03A3, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Buten42

Buten42 Member

You posted his Army Qualification Record--it shows he was in basic training for 3 months as a private, a truck driver for 36 months as a PFC., and a rifleman for 6 months as a PFC.
    Yup, PH is Purple Heart. During WWII the War Department authorized the Bronze Star Medal to everyone who was awarded the Combat Infantry Badge. They figured it was more difficult to get the CIB than the Bronze Star.

Your father was definitely a part of the occupation in Germany. The hostilities ended in May 45 and he didn't go home until October.
    The 2nd Armored was one of the divisions that went to Berlin. According to the ComZ patch on his uniform I believe he was transferred to that unit during the occupation. I really apologize, but I can't put much weight on what I see on that uniform- I need to help you with that ;-)
    Everyone who served even one day during WWII received the WWII Victory Medal.

If you write to NARA and ask for a replacement set of his awards they will send you a complete set for free. Get on the NARA site and download a form 80 and fill it out. Ask them for his medals and be sure to send a copy of his separation paper. They don't need his records for this.

If you need any help just yell.

2. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Presidential Unit Citation was given very sparingly to a qualified unit. It was usually given to something less than a division-- a battalion, platoon etc however I believe the 101Airborne was given one for Bastone. It carried the same weight as a Distinguished Service Cross given to an individual. I didn't see it listed on the separation document so unless they can determine a unit you may not get it.

Oh, they don't replace foreign awards.

3. VT03A3

VT03A3 Member

So, do you think that the fact that the PUC has it's own little section in the case with the Purple Heart means that they were awarded together for the same action? It is the orginal case, and the compartment about the PH for the PUC is original.

When did they usually present such medals and awards? After the soldier returned stateside?

Thanks

4. Buten42

Buten42 Member

They would not be presented together. There are a few criteria that needed to be met to be eligible for the PH, Usually they are pretty obvious during combat, and once it's approved it's written up in a General Order (my brothers was by the 2nd Armored Division) and then the Medal is presented. If the soldier is in the evacuation hospital it will be in a hospital GO. Somewhere, your father's PH award is written in a General Order. His name will also be in a company morning report as combat wounded. If he was wounded late in November and was in action for the Bulge which happened in late December, I'm guessing he went to a field hospital for a while and was released back to his unit. In that case the GO will be issued by Battalion or Division.

I'm not sure how the PUC is handled or how long a process it is. I do know that all personnel in the unit that the PUC is presented to will have this award in his records. In your case your father's were burned and they failed to list it on his separation paper. If his unit is known, it is easy for them to look it up, but without it they would have no way to determine. All his other awards are either listed or self explanatory. For instance, he was on active duty before Dec. 21, 1941 therefore he gets the American Defense Service Medal, he didn't leave Europe until Oct. 12 therefore he gets the Occupation Medal, he served stateside for more than a year therefore he gets the American Campaign Medal, etc. The NARA doesn't have a copy of his separation paper, that's why it's important to send one with your request.

That little section in the PH case is for the ribbon that he put on his uniform- there should be a small metal button-hole insignia with the PH colors to wear on a suit. He must have thought that was a good place to store the PUC. You will also get an Honorable Discharge Pin which was to be worn on a suit--the infamous "Ruptured Duck".

Does your father's pH have his name on the back? When you ask for a replacement set, ask to have the PH and the Good Conduct Medals engraved. This is also furnished without cost.

5. Buten42

Buten42 Member

i'm having trouble linking the crest that you have on your father's uniform, which is the DUI for the 113th Infantry Regiment, to the 132nd Infantry Regiment that you said he served in while stateside. Shown is the DUI (crest) for the 132nd. What am I missing?

[​IMG]

6. VT03A3

VT03A3 Member

I meant the 113th, sorry. Don't know where my brain came up with the 132nd.

Thanks for the additional good info.