Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Unknown U-Boat Emblem / Shield

Discussion in 'Submarines and ASW Technology' started by mswilhelmgustloff, Jul 9, 2010.

1. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

I am hoping someone out there can help. I recently came into a u-boat photo album from Gotenhafen sometime during the war. I am trying to figure out what u-boat this is, names of crew, officers, and anything else I can. The only problem is - the emblem - a chinese dragon, no one seems to know what it is. A friend believes it is an early Type IX training u-boat (it has the yellow stripe on the conning tower). If I read the diagrams correctly, it seems to more fit a Type VII as there is only a forward deck gun and one just aft of the conning tower center the railing. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am hoping to gain the full story before posting the album to my website.

Thanks!
    Eddie

Attached Files:

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

3. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

Thanks for the link, I actually checked every single emblem on there already in vain. If this was a Type IX, the U-38 would be a good contender, as she was in the 21 Flotille and stationed in Gotenhafen from Oct 44 to Feb of 45. There is no logo for her on the site, but the keywords do not match the logo I have - so I am not sure. I have had others try and were unable to answer what u-boat this is.

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

check this site : U-boat Insignia - U-boat Emblems

I posted an earlier link months ago covering extensive U-Boot photos so it even may appear on that link, please check the Atlantic naval forum and go back and do a search

formerjughead likes this.
  5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

forgot to add, the 21 Schuleflottille was based in Pillau not Gotenhafen if your Boot was in Gotenhafen late war then it was most probably under the 27th Ausbildungs Flottille not the 21st which ws based there.

6. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

I used the search and found the site you gave me: Your U-boat pictures - SUBSIM Radio Room Forums
    I am getting closer - but not there yet. I had thought it was the U-71 (which would make her a VIIC) - there are no images of her emblem but there were rough drawings of her emblem - a dragon. And according to uboat.net, the search showed this was one of two with a dragon emblem. (The other did not match) There is a photo of the emblem on the sailors hat, and I had thought this was the boat - as she was in Gotenhafen under the 22nd Flottille which was under the 2ULD which trained the Gustloff troops. Eventhough they don't match perfectly - sine the first is a drawing, I didn't think they would.

I have been discussing this with another man who does not believe it is the U-71, and his list of Hogel's emblems lists the U-757, U-982, and U-3510 with dragon emblems. Of those - only the U-982 spent any time in Gotenhafen. According to Hogel, the U-71 and U-331 have sea-serpents - not there are no images.

Eddie

Attached Files:

7. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

It makes it confusing because the last post appears to be a sea serpent, and the emlbem a dragon. But in the album, it is the same u-boat throughout and the same crew members in all of the pictures.

Attached Files:

• U101.jpg
      U101.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    • U60.jpg
      U60.jpg
      File size:
      57.6 KB
      Views:
    • U91.jpg
      U91.jpg
      File size:
      49.4 KB
      Views:
  8. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

Again - I thought the cap emblem is just a simplified version of the dragon because it was so small....:confused:

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

you're dragon seems to be an elongated sea horse, you may want to look that up as an emblem. also I point out the 22nd U-Flt. was not stationed at Gotenhafen. there is not a prob if the Boot(s) did come into harbor for supply but this was not it's base and that was at Pillau

10. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

I will try that. I don't know much in regards to u-boats, but this is the information I pulled off of uboat.net - which stated:

U-71
    Career: 10 patrols. Last patrol:
    1 July 44 to 1 Feb 45: 22. Flottille (School boat)

Then under the 22. Flottille link it says:
    22nd Flotilla: Bases
    Gotenhafen 1-41 to 2-45
    Wilhelmshaven 2-45 to 5-45
    Commanders14 Dec 1940- 3 Jul 1942 KrvKpt. Walter Flachsenberg3 Jul 1942- 1 May 1943 Oblt. Hardo Rodler von RoithbergJul, 1943- May, 1944 Oblt. Uwe Christiansen1 Jul 1943- Jul, 1943 Ltn. Erich KremplMay, 1944- 7 Jun 1944 Oblt. Curt Hartmann8 Jun 1944- 27 Feb 1945 Oblt. Emil RanzauCareer
    10 patrols14 Dec 1940-31 May 1941 7. Flottille (training)
    1 Jun 1941-31 May 1943 7. Flottille (front boat)
    1 Jun 1943-30 Jun 1944 24. Flottille (training)
    1 Jul 1944-1 Feb 1945 22. Flottille (school boat)

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

interesting few times that I have seen u-boat.net incorrect. it was Pillau Eddie not Gotenhafen all my German sources state this and it is even on the net as well.

12. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

All I know is this u-boat is driving me quite crazy not being able to find the number..... Thanks for the help.

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Eddie check on U-331 cap badge...............a dragon

14. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

Erich - I saw that on a reproduction site and looked into it. I noticed on the site you had given, the dragon was a very large emblem spanning the entire length / side of the tower. I am still looking at all the emblems there.

I did see the one listed too for U-245 - almost identical to mine, just that this one has wings and mine does not.

Attached Files:

15. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

16. Jan7

Jan7 Member

In first place, Eddie, welcome to WW2F;)!

I try to locate in Buscador U-Historia without results.

In second, congratulations for your website, until unknown for me in its most part.

If you permits me, I post your questions and images in your name in the http://www.u-historia.com/uhistoria/foro/ and will enquirie at my shipmates about these questions that intrigued you in this manner.

I await your permission.

Jan.

17. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

Hello Jan, that is fine. You can also email me any results through the homepage address of my site. Thanks again.

Eddie

18. Jan7

Jan7 Member

Ok, Eddie! I keep inform You of our advances in this matter as you whises.

Jan.

19. mswilhelmgustloff

mswilhelmgustloff Member

Hello all - I just went through the entire album and on the recommendation of another, I decided to try my best to peek at the backs of all the photos. (the glue is not holding well, so it is possible for some. I found the following on 2 photos in the middle of the album: "Willi & Walter - Gotenhafen, December of 1942." Maybe now the search can be narrowed.

20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Eddie

an idea, you may want to join this forum as they also speak good English here and post questions/photos, good chance you will get an informative answer

Forum Marinearchiv