Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Unknown WW2 shell

Discussion in 'Weapons used During WWII' started by Matt_Farmer, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:37 AM.

1. Matt_Farmer

Matt_Farmer New Member

Can anyone identify this? The photo is a 4x6, and I have not been able to weigh or measure it yet. Came from my grandpa's basement, he was in Germany during WW2. 4371.jpeg 4371.jpeg 4371.jpeg 4369.jpeg 4367.jpeg

2. harolds

harolds Member

Hi Matt,

From the looks of it, it probably is a an AP projectile since there doesn't seem to be any fuse in the nose or the base. The hole in the base is probably for the tracer element, also suggesting a direct-fire weapon. Expanding the picture until your photo was 4" on my screen and comparing it to the projectile, it seems to be in the 88-90mm class. I find it interesting that there is rifling marks on one side of the projo, which shouldn't happen. The rifling band on the back of the shell should be the only thing that takes the rifling. It would help if you measured it. Also a possibility is that it was part of an AT/Tank training round.

3. Matt_Farmer

Matt_Farmer New Member

Thanks for the info. I will be picking it up in the next couple of weeks, so I will get some measurements of it along with the weight. I am assuming that it is inert because it lacks a fuse.