Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Unusual Vosges Mtn. Artifact

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by SMcGaugh, Jul 23, 2015.

1. SMcGaugh

SMcGaugh recruit

I'm writing a book on "The Lost Battalion" of 1944 in the Vosges Mountains of eastern France. I spent several days in the forest with a guide. We found the attached, which neither the guide nor I can identify. It almost looks like a button, but without any attachment points.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
    Scott

Attached Files:

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

It's difficult to tell without knowing the size. Don't take this as definite, but I saw something similar many years ago and it was an internal part of a battery or accumulator........

3. SMcGaugh

SMcGaugh recruit

Thanks for the quick reply!
    • 1 1/4 inches by 1 1/4 inches.
    • About 1/8" thick.
    • The closer I look, the edges all around almost look hand-cut. They are rounded, but not uniformly straight.
    • It appears to me to have a hard-rubber core, with greenish plastic or alabaster on the outside. Almost "mineral-like."

Hope this helps!

4. Alsa.se

Alsa.se Member

Sorry I can't help.
    But in wich area were you ? Bruyères ? I have a friend living in Frémifontaine, 10km from Bruyères.
    He is a guide for the 45th Infantry in the sector.

Cheers

5. SMcGaugh

SMcGaugh recruit

This was found on the ridge/mountains about 3km north of Biffontaine (and perhaps 3-4km east of Belmont). Close to Foret Communale de Brouvelieures. In the region where the 36th Division fought in October 1944.

More were found in the village only a few km from Biffontaine as well.
    Thanks for your interest.

6. Alsa.se

Alsa.se Member

Well, thank you for the details. This is very interesting.

7. bcmillett

bcmillett New Member

Scott,

No input on images, but I am curious about your book (available? looking for contributors?).

My father (Archie H. Millett) was the "B.A.R. man" in the squad on point for the 1st Battalion of the 141st Infantry Regiment on October 24th 1944 when contact was made with the Germans. At last-light of the ensuing battle, my dad's ammunition carrier was killed and my father was wounded. Over the subsequent 24 hours he crawled "several miles" (injuries precluded walking) to safety - through the German infested forest.

Dad received the Purple Heart, married, had 6 children, 40 grandchildren and 102 great-grandchildren.

My dad lives with me now. He is 92 and in relatively good health.

Bret

TD-Tommy776 and George Patton like this.
  8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Brett,

Scott has not been on the Forum since his last post. You could try sending him a Private Message through the Forum. He may still have it linked to his email.

Please give your father our thanks and appreciation for his service. We would love to hear from him directly or with your help. There is a section of the forum just for that purpose: Honor Service and Valor.

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

The base looks like shell...mother of pearl or something similar, if so this wouldn't be an internal part to a mechanism...the white blobs on the outside look similar to a map of Europe, the bottom being Italy, Greece and the beginning of the mediteranean...but perhaps im seeing what I want to see here...

10. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Given the rough workmanship, I was suspecting some type of trench art. Maybe pieces for a checker board or something like that. I think I might have picked out Italy, but am lost on the rest. But then, I have no imagination whatsoever. ;)

11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Spain on the other side too...I would suspect that this was contained within a metal/silver/gold clasp hiding the rough edges, and its either fallen out or was picked out to get at the metal.