Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Upcoming Visit to Infantry and Armor Museums at Fort Benning, GA, April 15-17 2016

Discussion in 'WWII Forums News' started by Slipdigit, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

A group of Rogues has planned a trip to Fort Benning, GA April 15-17 to visit the museums there.

Our roughed-out plan is to arrive the afternoon of 15 April. After a strong breakfast the following morning, we will visit the Infantry Museum and the Armor and Cavalry Museum Saturday and Sunday, with the final schedule to be determined.

Armor and Infantry Museum

National Infantry Museum

We plan make use of the fine hotel facilities in the area Friday and Saturday nights and leave for home late Sunday afternoon, April 17.

Any Rogues in who will be in the southeast United States during those days are welcome to join us.

If you are interested in joining this august group, please contact A-58, USMCPrice, or me via PM.

I hope to see you there and can assure that there will not be a single beer drank over the weekend.

2. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Jeff, I cannot think of anything more fun than to visit with the group and get to meet people in person. Unfortunately we are committed for that weekend.

Gaines

3. Slipdigit

Dang, Professor, wished you could make it. We'll be going right by your house.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Jeff,I would love to be there but it's way out of my travel area. Take pictures of any Rogues who show up. Of course, take photos of what you see for posting purposes.

Gaines, I sympathize with both you and your wife. I hope the results are as positive as the early signs are. Please keep me posted by PM when you know more. I wish both of you the best.

5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Of course there will be "in-depth de-briefings" at local beer gardens following each daily mission. Might even ride out to see the 250 foot jump towers over on the main post area as well.

6. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

I almost hate to ask, but are you sure about this? The National Armor & Cavalry Museum is still in the process of fundraising and construction hasn't even begun so far as I know? The Armor/Cavalry Gallery at the National Infantry Museum was scheduled to open 30 January, but the opening was cancelled 29 January without a new date.

Frankly speaking, the US Army museum's program is a mess. The National Museum of the US Army at Fort Belvoir has been in the planning stages for SIXTEEN years without a single spadeful f dirt being turned over at the site (construction was supposed to be complete in 2015, then 2015 was supposed to be start of construction, now it is April 2016...depending on another environmental impact study, with completion "in time for the Army Birthday" in 2019.

7. Slipdigit

You may very well be right about the armor and Cavalry museum.

Had a friend visit there sometime back and he said the tanks were there, didn't mention a building but didn't say it was not there either. We'll find out once we get there. Regardless the infantry museum is there and we can give it a thorough going through.

8. Slipdigit

You may very well be right about the armor and Cavalry museum.

Had a friend visit there sometime back and he said the tanks were there, didn't mention a building but didn't say it was not there either. We'll find out once we get there. Regardless the infantry museum is there and we can give it a thorough going through.

9. Dave55

Dave55 Member

That might have been me. I've tried several times to find contact information of the guys I spoke with but haven't been able to.
    We might be able to knock on the office door like I did and get lucky.

My visit described here:

http://www.ww2f.com/topic/50896-backstage-visit-to-ft-benning-tank-collection/?p=560193

10. Slipdigit

You may have been the one I remember. Do you think you can work that magic again? I have DoD credentials.

11. Dave55

Dave55 Member

I'll be happy to try. No telling which way they will jump though, especially on a weekend day. The planets aligned for me on a weekday

12. Slipdigit

There are still slots available for overnight and day packages. You'd better hurry, once they are gone...there will still be some more.

Me and a boyhood friend who is going will need help. There are six of committed, four are named Bob or Bobby. :eek:

13. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Maybe they could just call you both Bob or Bobby, just to keep it clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

14. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Reminds me of an old Newhart episode. "This is my brother Darrell and my other brother Darrell."

15. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Not funny.