Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US Army Field Grade Hat w/ Surprise

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Huntzman, May 14, 2010.

1. Huntzman

Huntzman Member

Thought I would post the latest addition to my collection.

Here she is:

[​IMG]

formerjughead and Slipdigit like this.
  2. Huntzman

Huntzman Member

The hat is in amazing condition and at first glance I would have thought it was an unissued piece. Imagine my surprise when I found a faded slip of "Bancroft" paper that had an almost invisible name printed on it. I altered the hues / contrast and look what I found: MAJ JAMES O. DICKINSON JR

[​IMG]

3. Huntzman

Huntzman Member

I pulled out my Sherlock hat and after an evening of sleuthing I came up with the following:

JAMES O. DICKINSON JR

He was born in 1921 in Altoonah, Alabama and passed away in 1999 in Savannah, Ga. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetary.

In 1943 he enlisted in the Army. He served throughout WWII in the European Theater . According to the records I found it was noted that he received the European-African Middle Eastern Theater medal with three bronze stars for Ardennes, Central Europe and Rhineland campaigns. This entry fits nicely with a post I found submitted by Lt. Col. Dickenson on the 22nd Infantry website just days before he passed away. Which means, it is quite possible that he was in the battle of the bulge. The 22nd was assigned to the 4th ID.

After release from Federal service he remained in the National Guard where he continued to serve for twenty years retiring as a Lt. Colonel.

In civilian life he was a dentist and practiced for 47 years. He was also a 32 degree Mason.

NPRC request submitted, more to follow !!! (Hopefully)

Andrew

4. 36thva2

36thva2 Member

Nice Find!

5. Huntzman

Huntzman Member

Thanks, and indeed it was a very nice find. Ironically, I had purchased the hat with the intent of using it for a display honoring my late uncle. Only to find it held a secret all it's own.

Just hoping to get some information back from the NPRC so that I can put together a little outline of Lt Col Dickenson's career to go along with the hat itself.

Of course, that still leaves me on the lookout for another hat to go with my uncle's display....... ah collecting, it is quite an addiction !!!!

6. Huntzman

Huntzman Member

Wonders of Wonders......... NPRC responded back !!!!!

Just sorting through the documents, but I actually got a B&W photo of the Lt. Col. to boot.

What I have found is the following:

Enlisted in Aug. 43
    2nd Lt. in Jan. 44
    1st Lt. in Mar 46
    Capt. in Jan. 54
    Major in Apr. 59
    Lt. Col in Mar 66

He originally served in the 22 Infantry. Upon release from active duty he served in the USAR as a dental officer with the 158th General Hospital & 3297th Army Hospital (both in Georgia). He retired in 1967

During WWII he was awarded the following:

Bronze Star Medal w/ V device
    CIB
    WWII Victory
    American Campaign
    EAME w/ 3 bronze stars
    Armed Forces Reserve Medal

He also qualified with:

Rifle M1903
    Carbine M1
    Sub MG M1
    Carbine 30. Cal