Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US Army soldier possibly killed by friendly fire in Greece on 22 December 1944

Discussion in 'Italy, Sicily & Greece' started by GMyles, Feb 27, 2018.

1. GMyles

GMyles recruit

Hi

I have a report stating that on the 22nd December 1944, a vehicle on the Elevsis/Athens road was attacked and hit by shell fire, killing one American and wounding 2. The reports suggests that it may have been mistaken for the enemy (ELAS) by a RN ship off shore. The US Army unit operating at Elevsis airfield was the 1269th ATC Base Unit.

It doesn't appear that he was buried at the war cemetery at Pharelon as I cannot find him on the CWGC database (although I can find a Russian!).

Has anyone any ideas as to the identity of the deceased and where he was buried? Any names of the 2 wounded would be brilliant too.

Thanks

Gus

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

TSgt. Harold F. Ochs, ASN 13038651, 1269th Army Air Force Base Unit, KIA 22 Dec 1944. Buried at Sicily-Rome American Cemetery & Memorial.

The newspaper article on his Memorial Page at Findagrave.com states:

"Sgt. Harold F. Ochs, 27, was killed in action over Greece last Dec. 22... Early last month, an Athens news dispatch revealed that Sgt. Ochs was stationed in Athens with the Air Transport Command and went back and forth through English and Greek rebel lines under protection of an American flag sleeve band every day as part of his work."

KodiakBeer and Owen like this.
  3. GMyles

GMyles recruit

That's a really great find TD-Tommy776.

Thanks ever so much.

Gus

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

You're welcome. I just used the search on the ABMC to find burials at the Sicily-Rome cemetery with DOD of 22 Dec 44 and his name came up. Got lucky with the article on his Memorial page.