Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US Army tugboat D-Day

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by USArmy tugboats, Jan 15, 2019.

1. USArmy tugboats

USArmy tugboats New Member

I am the daughter of US Army WO John M Croy who was captain of a tugboat towing the concrete caissons across the English Channel after D-Day off Omaha Beach to create an artificial harbor. I am now 71, but I remember vividly his war stories. My name is Judith Croy, and I would like to transmit his experiences in World War II, in case there is someone who would like the information. Like most vets it was the greatest experience of his life, but the hardest also. He was 34 when he was inducted, and married, and already bald, so he was affectionately called “the old man” by his men.

2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Most of the members here enjoy reading the accounts of the WWII veterans, please do post the story.
    Welcome aboard!

3. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Please do. It's not well known that the Army has a substantial "navy". Welcome to the forum!

4. lwd

lwd Ace

knowledge not shared is lost. PLS do post the material.

5. WILD DUKW

WILD DUKW Active Member

Judith, Welcome to the forums. Do you know the name of your father's tugboat/s? I have a list of US Army vessels and would like to look it up.

The Army's "Navy" during WWII had more vessels than the US Navy. It was a major factor in winning the war, and the contributions of the Army's "sailors" are not well known.

I look forward to learning about your father's service.