Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US Army's advantage over the Wehrmacht

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Riter, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

I read many, many books on WW II. The German recruit had to sit there with a knife and peel potatoes. No potato peelers like we have in our kitchen but with a simple knife. If the skin was too thick, the recruit was wasting potatoes and would get chewed out. Kitchen duty was not an easy task.

Today I learned that the US Army of WW II had machine potato peelers. Recruit placed a potato in and it whirled around inside the machine before being spit out all pealed. America! BTW, we had a machine in Chef School but I never used it.

Learned this from Unfinished Journey. Pvt. Morris Redmann was a chowhound. He dashed for the chow line, be first in line, and walk out eating while he rejoined the tail end of the line for seconds.

2. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

If that's true then it's not what the historians like to report. Who hasn't seen a picture of US Navy sailors peeling spuds using knives?

3. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Space shipboard is more limited. Besides, gotta keep the squids busy and out of trouble.

4. Takao

Takao Ace

Hand peeling was punishment duty. The vast majority of the naval warships had mechanical peelers.

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

In a way the potato peeling in many armies was not that bad. You worked in the kitchen, and was able to get some extra rations your other military mates were not able to get. Of course this was dependent on the relationship with the cook. Just my View.

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

If you've found a way to keep squids out of trouble please prepare a lecture to be presented to the Chief's Forum.

Peeling potatoes was frequently used as a punishment detail. IIRC correctly Fahey mentions this in Pacific War Diary.