Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US Battleship moves prior to December 7

Discussion in 'Pearl Harbor' started by Jsullivan15, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Jsullivan15

Jsullivan15 recruit

Hello. I'm sure this is a routine question but does anyone know the movements of the 7 battleships prior to December 7th? I know at least some of them were at sea but how many? If they were all at sea did they all return to Pearl together on the same day or were some of them still in port while others were out doing drills?

2. lwd

lwd Ace

Apparently they were at sea during the week on a regular basis. For details just before 7 Dec look up discussions of the carrier task groups.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The BBs that were assigned to Adms. Brown and Halsey went out with the carriers when they went on their plane movement missions. I think they came back on the Friday after that deployment in each case. The idea was to make it look like normal training rather than trips into "Indian country". According to Genda this worked.

4. Jsullivan15

Jsullivan15 recruit

Thanks. Good to know. So were all 7 of the battleships involved in that sortie or did some of them stay behind at Pearl.

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You'll have to dig up the Task Force TO&E for each TF. That'll give you the ships assigned. The Employment Schedules will also show who was assigned to what TF. Been quite a while since I looked at either.