Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US medals at a glance

Discussion in 'Living History' started by mott5ranch, Sep 28, 2002.

1. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

Volumnes have been written about US medals. Compared to the rest of the world the US awards are very simple, hard die cast, stamped, pieces of history. Only a few awards have enamamel in lays and the rest show wear very easily over time.
    Here are a few at a glance. The medal on the scale is an old Marine Corps medal for landing on a beach under hostile situations not in a declared war.
    [​IMG]

2. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

A closer look for those that are curious.
    [​IMG]

3. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

Another shot of the same medal.
    [​IMG]

4. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

The authentic awarded pieces were numbered on the rim. These old medlas are on the rare side. However, I found this one in an antique store display with costume jewelry. I pays to look around while the wife is shopping.
    [​IMG]

5. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

Does anyone know what this one is?
    [​IMG]

6. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

Let's get a little closer.
    [​IMG]

7. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

Notice the detail and the back side assembly. are there any Marines in the crowd?
    [​IMG]

8. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Nice pics, Gary! I don't like US medals a lot, but I respect the men who earned them by serving their country in the best way possible.

9. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

Thanks Freidrich, Here are some more.
    [​IMG]

10. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

This is a WWI French made US Army Distinguished Service Cross. It is the second highest award offered in combat.
    [​IMG]
    Look at the details. It is a very handsome medal.
    [​IMG]

11. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

Here is a look at the reverse side of the French made US medal. I hope you like it.
    [​IMG]

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Another great collection of militaria. I saw a Medal of Honor in one pic, and thats a VERY nice made DSC!

13. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I do like that medal. Maybe because it's French (Europe) and it is classy? :rolleyes: [​IMG]

14. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

American medals are my favourite!!!!! I love seeing pics like this-and especially large collections such as this one.
    HUGE THANKS TO YOU, MOTT-----WE ALL GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR SHARING THESE WITH US I THINK I CAN SAFELY SAY ON BEHALF OF US ALL...

15. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

Thanks Gents! It is my pleasure to show my small collection of the past. I appreciate the welcome and interest. We are all here to share and learn and hopefully have some fun.

16. Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker New Member

Going on from there also Mott-those 2 early MOHs-is one from WW1 and the other from the Civil War? And does the rank above the medal indicate this medal was awarded to a Major?

17. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

Hello Panzer, Those are not MOH's they are encampment medals for veterans where the vet issues were discussed and an ear was always found from Washington. These medals are called GAR medals, which stands for the "Grand Army of the Republic." Each state held such a rally and politicians seeking votes made many a promise they could not keep.
    These look almost identical to the MOH of the time except the liberty lady is not defeating Mars the god of war in the center. the center theme varied. The exact resemblence caused many conflicts at the time as well which caused the design changes to what it is now. From a short distance they look the same, only after close examination can one really tell. Since they are period pieces and made to look like the real deal and were part of the medals' later developemnt I grabbed a few for the collection.

18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hey Gary--post pics of Kens stuff.......I think they'll be amazed at some of his stuff too. :cool:

19. Ken Jasper

Ken Jasper Member

Hey Gary,

I just found this thread. Nice collection. I sold off many of my US medals and have only all awarded to the Merchant Marine and the USCG. Not sure why I kept the latter, but I have the Gold and Silver Life Saving medals with the USCG group. I kept the Merchant Marine because I am name after an Uncle who died duirng the war while serving with the MM; swept overboard during a storm.

Having spent 28 years as a civilian with the US Government, I also have over 50 medals awarded to civilians. Many are named on the reverse. Among them are the Medal of Freedom which dates from WWII, the National Security Medal, several from DIA and NASA and the Department of Transportation (Valor)..

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hey Ken--im glad to see another friendly person here. I cant wait till Gary can post pics of your militaria here.