Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US Navy Aircraft Carrier enlisted billets

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by geahanse, Jul 14, 2014.

1. geahanse

geahanse New Member

Does anyone know where I can find a sample or an actual enlisted billet for the typical US Navy aircraft carrier in World War 2? To show you what I mean, ibiblio has :

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/DD-Billets/index.html

Which shows typical watch, battle and routine bills for destroyers of different sizes. I am looking for something similar to this but of aircraft carriers in ww2 (and preferably one where I don't have to pay money for). Any help would be appreciated.

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

You could pretty much figure that out by looking at a squadron TO&E because that and a MARDET are really the only differences between DE's and CV's. Same jobs; just more people.

PS: Larry Jewel used to post here quite frequently; he has since moved on to other pastures. He is very knowledgeable.

3. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

What was his user name?

4. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Opanapointer

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Ah-hah. I am very, very familiar with him. Exceedingly knowledgeable individual. I was wondering why he hadn't posted in awhile. I wish he'd come back, a very interesting guy. T.A. Gardner's been gone a while also, any word on him?

6. geahanse

geahanse New Member

7. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

The May 1943 issue of the Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin May 1943 article ratings and duties; this issue may be found here: www.navy.mil/ah_online/archpdf/ah194305.pdf.

A year later in the May 1944 issue a follow-up article appeared with ratings added in the intervening year; this issue can be found here: www.navy.mil/ah_online/archpdf/ah194405.pdf .

Still article “Every Man Where He’s Best Fitted” appears in the October 1943 issue, see www.navy.mil/ah_online/archpdf/ah194310.pdf.

The whole wartime series of the Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin makes for some interesting reading if you are into personnel type stuff (I, long ago, downloaded, issue by issue, a complete set of 1937 through 1948, tedious but worth the effort.) They are, fair warning, some really big files.

Agreed, Larry is a wonderful asset!