Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US Serviceman record help - KIA at Leyte Purple Heart

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by The Guardroom, Mar 2, 2018.

  1. The Guardroom

    The Guardroom New Member

    Mar 2, 2018
    Likes Received:
    Hi all,
    New to this forum as advised my question may be best answered by the UK WWII Talk forum, as US related.
    I hope someone with some better knowledge on US Service Records can help me out. I have a Purple Heart named to PFC Raymond Rejniak of the 127th Inf, 32nd Division who was KIA on Leyte on the 21st Nov 1944. His Service number was 36512644 from what I can find online. From Wayne, Michigan, his mother is listed as Mary from Fenelon in Detroit. Buried in Manila American Cemetery. Now with such an unusual surname I was hoping to find some more information on Raymond on the NARA sites that others have pointed to in earlier UK forum posts on this matter, but I can find nothing?
    If anyone is more of an expert in the use of the NARA online tool, could you help check this man out please. I would obviously like his full service record, but not a family relative and not sure this is permitted.
    Many thanks for any help offered.
  2. Buten42

    Buten42 Member

    Jun 27, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Washington State
    Alan, Since PFC Rejniak records have been archived at the NARA, they are available to the public. You might also be interested in getting his Individual Deceased Personnel File which may give you some information concerning his death. The link below may help. You have all the important information, name, service nomber, date and place of death etc,
  3. TD-Tommy776

    TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

    Jun 3, 2011
    Likes Received:
    The Land of 10,000 Loons
    Getting his full service record may be difficult as about 80% of the US Army WWII Personnel records were destroyed or damaged by a fire in 1973. However, as I like to say, it never hurts to ask for them. We have a thread on Requesting US Military WWII Personnel Records. The NARA has a webpage that explains the process for requesting a soldier's OMPF (Official Military Personnel File) by the general public. You will need to complete and mail in the form SF-180. You will need to be patient. The NARA may confirm receipt of your request within a week or two, but a response to your request can take months.

    The IDPF that Buten42 mentioned does not contain a lot of personnel information, but it does contain some personal information. The only problem with IDPFs is that it is currently taking a year or more to get them through the NARA.

Share This Page