Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Use of Captured weapons by British and Commonwealth

Discussion in 'Biographies and Everything Else' started by mikegb, Aug 25, 2008.

1. mikegb

mikegb Member

The British used a lot of captured Kit I've seen war time encyclopedia pictures showing captured german field guns deployed for coastal defence in southern england I'll try and locate them and scan in the images. I've also seen Polish unit picures of panzer Mark 3's being used for training. Italian weaponry was widely used especially field guns and AA kit with italian medium tanks deployed by Australians in 1941.

Some of this captured kit was sent to malta the museum on Malta has picture of Italian tanks artillery and AA guns in use by the Maltese regiments. Unfortunately the national museum is not online but if any members vist it has some of the original kit.

The first example of a Tiger 1 in allied hands was specifically stolen by the SAS almost as soon as the tank was deployed in Africa. The vechile was and still is intact and in working order only the seat covers needed to be replaced from the original. The tank was used for assessment and training but not in combat.

During the war in western Europe the British widely use MP40's and mg 42's since the former used the same ammo as the sten gun and the latter could use the Besa ammunition from British tanks. The British were well served by the PIAT but would pick up any Panzerfausts that they came across and any Tellermines.

The French used a great deal of german kit using captured tanks into the mid 1950's including panthers. Many of these were later sold onto the Syrians and used aginst Israel with very limited success several tank museums have used these abandon vechiles as a source for exhhibits.

2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

That is interesting on the panthers sent to the Syrians. Do you have any named sources or links I could take a look at? Thanks.

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

"The British used a lot of captured Kit I've seen war time encyclopedia pictures showing captured german field guns deployed for coastal defence in southern england I'll try and locate them and scan in the images. I've also seen Polish unit picures of panzer Mark 3's being used for training. Italian weaponry was widely used especially field guns and AA kit with italian medium tanks deployed by Australians in 1941."

I would love to see the source and photos for the captured German field guns in Southern England.And earlier in another thread there has been posted info and photos About the Italian and German equipment being used in North Africa.

"The first example of a Tiger 1 in allied hands was specifically stolen by the SAS almost as soon as the tank was deployed in Africa. The vechile was and still is intact and in working order only the seat covers needed to be replaced from the original. The tank was used for assessment and training but not in combat."

Once again how about a source?

"During the war in western Europe the British widely use MP40's and mg 42's since the former used the same ammo as the sten gun and the latter could use the Besa ammunition from British tanks. The British were well served by the PIAT but would pick up any Panzerfausts that they came across and any Tellermines."

There is another thread about the use of small arms.

4. mikegb

mikegb Member

5. mikegb

mikegb Member

>>I would love to see the source and photos for the captured German field guns in Southern England.And earlier in another thread there has been posted info and photos About the Italian and German equipment being used in North Africa. <<

The photos were in a war time encyclopedia set so I doubt I've still got them anymore. It might have been this site that I saw the picture recently I knew the poles used MK 3 panzers in syria for training since I worked with some of the Poles when I was a student. The only refrence I can easily find is

Achtung Panzer! - Polish Armor 1939