Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

USMC Pacific Camo Helmet Cover, Real or Fake?

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by ARCHANGELDM, Jul 10, 2010.

1. ARCHANGELDM

ARCHANGELDM Dishonorably Discharged

Hi
    i recently purchased this camo cover from a dealer and would like an expert to tell me if its real or fake please.
    Regards
    Dean
    :eek:

Attached Files:

2. 1986CamaroZ28

1986CamaroZ28 Member

I thought only the ones from the Korean War had the emblem on it, but I could be completely wrong. I got a Korean War helmet with the same cover like that.

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

here is one taken from an original, it compares well, and foliage slits were late war, into korean war...
    [​IMG]

4. ARCHANGELDM

Hi Sniper
    thanks so much for your help i have looked at yours and looked at mine and they are the same, so im guessing its original. Would u say so ?. Also how rare are these korian covers i paid £85. Did i get ripped off ?
    Thanks
    Dean

p.s also please take a look at the green first issue would u say thats original ?

5. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

price is fair dean, and the other looks good too...hope this has been of help..ray.

6. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

My knee jerk reaction is that it is a Reproduction or at best an "Artefake".

The EGA is stamped on the cover instead of stenciled. Several of these stamps have recently made an appearence on e-bay. This style made an appearance on the 1953 series of cammo covers.

The cover itself also appears too "new" as though it has not been lying flat for 50 odd years.

a search found several reproduction cammo helemet covers in the $25.00 (US).
    US Marine Corps uniforms and equipment.

I also found this site:
    WWII USMC CAMO M-1 HELMET COVER FIRST MODEL

USMC Helmet & 1st Pattern Duck Hunter pattern cover - U.S. Militaria Forum

Here is a link to an e-bay item, look through the pictures and compare it to yours. Notice that the "Stock Number" printed on the cover is 1953.
    ALL ORIGINAL USMC HBT 2ND MODEL CAMO HELMET COVER - eBay (item 180527641696 end time Jul-10-10 18:13:18 PDT)

I hope that answers more questions than it creates.

Brad

7. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

One thread per subject please.

8. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I'll second Formerjugheads opinion. It has the correct period type emblem, note the anchor isn't fouled like the Korean War era one he linked to on E-Bay. However, formerjughead was right on, when he noticed that the emblem was stamped not stenciled. A bad sign. As formerjughead observed, I also think it looks too new, not like an item that's been in storage for 65 years, but that being said, it could be genuine but I have my doubts.

9. ARCHANGELDM

Thanks so much for your info guys :) , im very happy to hear your comments and knowledge.
    When i bought this the gentlemen had 3 they where bought in the us in the 80s laid flat in a pack. Is it possible that they are stencils but the corner of the stencil was blackened with ink, hence the straight edge near the anchor ?.
    Also what do u think of the first pattern green cover
    Thanks once again
    Dean

10. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

11. ARCHANGELDM

Thankyou so much sniper so infact it could actually be an original, its just so hard to find out exactly what is real and what is fake. Sniper i just posted a thread on a riggers helmet could u take a look. Also i would like to add you as a friend if pos :)

sniper1946 likes this.
  12. wbennett2

wbennett2 recruit

As a newbie I would like to know if anyone has ever seen any written documentation that the so called " chain stitchig " on the beach side of a WW II USMC camo cover, first pattern, was in fact universally done or was single stitching used as well ? I have seen several postings that it is one of the " clues " to identify first pattern but none of the posts ever documents a source ?

13. RRA227

RRA227 Member

I do not think it is original. I have a bunch of W.W.2 U.S.M.C. 1st. pattern helmet covers and they are all Herringbone Twill material. In the pics the material looks like twill. No pattern. If you would like I'll post pics of mine. Rich A. in Pa.

14. wbennett2

wbennett2 recruit

Would be great to see some photos of your first patterns RRA. This would help my learning curve !

15. RRA227

RRA227 Member

The cover is a HBT pattern. My error. Here are pics I had on my hard drive of my covers and covered helmets. I have the W.W.2 and 1950's types. I'll do better pics if you want. Rich A. in Pa.

16. wbennett2

wbennett2 recruit

Rich . thanks for the pics. Can you give us a closeup of the stitching across the top on the beach/brown side...USMC04 ?

17. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

as to the question about chain stitching versus single stitching, every thing that i have found as an real item from wwII on the us material is chain stitched as it is a stronger,more durable stitch.

18. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Hope this is ok. Rich A. in Pa.

19. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

20. wbennett2

wbennett2 recruit

Thank you for the photo