Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

USMC TBY radio

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by drunkpunk19thGRU, Dec 22, 2010.

1. drunkpunk19thGRU

drunkpunk19thGRU recruit

anyone have photos of TBY radios in action? the only pics i have are from the film windtalkers. thanks in advance.

regards,
    jake

2. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

3. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

T.A. are you sure that the TBY is the Navy designation for the SCR-536? I am no expert on WWII comm equipment but I thought the TBY was a bigger box shaped unit. Also the link you provided infers that it is different unit:

"One of the most severe shortcomings of the handie-talkie was that it was not compatible with FM radios. Although it could operate on some of the frequencies of the TBY and TBX radio sets, the 536 did not use the same bands as the SCR-300 Walkie-Talkie radio."

I don't know, just wanted to verify.

4. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

TBX is the larger box shaped unit also called the SCR 300 "Walkie Talkie" as opposed to the SCR 536 / TBY "Handi Talkie." Both units are common tactical radios in infantry-type units.

5. drunkpunk19thGRU

drunkpunk19thGRU recruit

still looking for photos

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Lou, I posted those pictures and I don't think they are the sets he is looking for. I posted a picture of the SCR-300 "Walkie Talkie" and SCR-536 "Handi Talkie". What the poster was wanting were pictures of the TBY which was an earlier radio set.

I think T.A. thought, incorrectly, that they were different designations for the same sets:

I tried to tell him, politely, that I thought he was incorrect, but he reiterated the information.

I knew that the Marine Corps replaced the TBY with the SCR-300, but I have enormous respect for T.A. and didn't want to argue so I let it drop. Look for yourself and give me your opinion:

[​IMG]
    SCR-300
    [​IMG]
    SCR-536

Now here are a couple of TBY sets.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

T.A. stated that the SCR-536 and TBY were one and the same. Here's a link:http://virhistory.com/navy/xmtrs/tby.htm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here are pictures of a TBX, I think you will agree that it doesn't look like the SCR-300.
    And the link: http://virhistory.com/navy/xmtrs/tbx.htm

Here's an excerpt from the Hyperwar Monograph on the Marshalls to support the statement I made about the SCR-300 replacing the TBY.

"Both the TBX and TBY radios, neither type adequately waterproof, had to be used again in the Marshalls. Eventually, it was hoped, these sets could be replaced, the TBX by some new, lighter, and more reliable piece of equipment and the TBY by the portable SCR 300 and mobile SCR 610 used by the Army."

Link here: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/III/USMC-III-III-1.html

8. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

9. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large