Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

USN Pre-war Formosa overflights

Discussion in 'War in the Pacific' started by USS GOLD STAR, Feb 6, 2009.

1. USS GOLD STAR

USS GOLD STAR Member

There are only scattered fragments, but key seems to be Saburo Sakai's statement in his book that U. S. Navy PBYs of Patrol Wing TEN, U.S. Asiatic Fleet, had made several overflights of Japanese air bases in southern Formosa in the weeks just before the beginning of the war. Predictably, nothing in USN records supports this. Several have told me that a document in the Pearl Harbor Investigation papers is a diplomatic complaint by the Japanese about precisely these overflights, but I have yet to find it.

Anybody with clues or tips, please pass them on.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

3. Colonel FOG

Colonel FOG Member

Not much help for you, but I have several recce photos taken of airbases in Taiwan (Formosa) in Jan 1945. Interested?

4. Colonel FOG

Colonel FOG Member

5. Colonel FOG

Colonel FOG Member

New Answer for you:<br><a href="http://books.google.com.tw/books?id=r8PutH7_T2gC&pg=PA237&lpg=PA237&dq=1941,+Formosa,+reconnaissance&source=bl&ots=0jD4vo9XYi&sig=MUDUX7N8CYFmkFFXNkiLqa9QKYM&hl=zh-TW&ei=BsWJTtWmCIiKmQWRg7wR&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=1941%2C Formosa%2C reconnaissance&f=false">December 8, 1941: MacArthur's Pearl ... - William H. Bartsch - Google Formosa%2C reconnaissance&f=false</a><br><br>

See Chapter 8 pp 230-240.