Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

USS Augusta D-Day question

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by mystic3334, May 19, 2016.

1. mystic3334

mystic3334 New Member

Hello, My name is Michael and I am new to the forum. I have been doing family research on my grandfather who passed away in 1993. He served in the US Navy from August 1942 until November 1945. From October 1942 until December 1944 he served aboard the USS Augusta. I have viewed the Augusta muster reports that shows he was aboard during that time. I am making a shadow box of his items and was wondering if he can rightly be called a veteran of D-Day? He was serving aboard during the conflict, but I believe he never left his duties on the USS Augusta. I wanted to be as accurate as possible while putting together the shadow box. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank You all for your time and I look forward to hearing from you and learning all I can. For all of you who have served and have family members who served or who are serving; thank you!

All the Best, Mike

2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Indeed Mike, yes, your Granddad was a veteran of D-Day. Augusta was the flagship of Rear Admiral Alan G. Kirk, Commander, TF-122, the Western Naval Task Force. Also embarked was General Omar N. Bradley, Commander, First U.S. Army. She and HMS Bellona were also designated as bombardment reserve.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The Augusta was Roosevelt's private taxi, taking him to the Atlantic Conference and taking Adm. Leahy to France to be ambassador to the Vichy government among other things. Check out her history here.

4. mystic3334

mystic3334 New Member

Hello, Thank You so much for the reply and information. It is greatly appreciated. Very proud to have had a grandfather that served at Normandy! I am making a shadow box with his dog tags, a Navy photo and his Navy ID card. I wanted to add a D-Day pin, but wanted to make sure. I know from the muster rolls he was aboard during Operation Torch, Operation Overlord, and Ooeration Dragoon. I am finding replacement medals for the shadow box that my grandfather would have received as we no longer have his. If I am correct in my research, he would have received the European Campaign medal with three battle ( campaign ) stars for his time on the Augusta. Along with the WW2 Victory Medal. Does this sound correct to everyone?

In December 1944 my grandfather left the Augusta and served aboard the USS Riverside from December of 1944 until November of 1945. In August of 1945 the Riverside docked in Okinawa and my grandfather was aboard per muster rolls. The War ended a few days later I believe. I believe this qualifies him for the Asiatic Campaign Medal, the American Campaign Medal, and a couple others? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, Mike

5. lwd

lwd Ace

You might want to check out what qualifies for Battle of the Atlantic honors as well.

6. OpanaPointer

7. mystic3334

mystic3334 New Member

Thank You Opana Pointer for the great pictures! I appreciate it!

8. mystic3334

mystic3334 New Member

Thank lwd! Appreciate it.

9. OpanaPointer

Augusta got three battle stars for Atlantic duty. I noted that in passing somewhere.

10. mystic3334

mystic3334 New Member

Hi OpanaPointer, I believe my grandfather qualified for the three battle stares of Operation Torch, as he came aboard in early October and Augusta left for North Africa in mid to late October, I believe. The muster rolls show him aboard in 1944 so that would be number 2 for Operation Overlord, and following Overlord I believe Augusta left for Operation Dragoon in the south of France, so that would be the 3rd battle star. I have a wonderful item from my grandfather's time on the Augusta in 1943 when they crossed into the Artic Circle ( this was, I believe when the Augusta was working with England's Home Fleet between England and Iceland, a nice signed presentation paper by his commander commerating the event.

11. Carronade

Carronade Ace

Augusta was one of four heavy cruisers fitted with expanded accommodations and communications to serve as a fleet flagship. Several navies did this in the interwar period when the naval treaties precluded construction of new capital ships. USN flagships were Augusta, Houston and Chicago of the Northampton class and their near-sister Indianapolis. They could be distinguished by the forecastle extending almost to the pylons supporting the catapults. Some sources say both Indianapolis and Portland were flagships, but photos of Portland show otherwise.

As noted, Augusta served in many major operations, and also carried President Truman to Europe for the Potsdam conference. She and her sisters all did tours as flagship of the Asiatic Fleet; which Houston was at the outbreak of war. Indianapolis was often flagship of Fifth Fleet and Admiral Spruance.

12. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

13. mystic3334

mystic3334 New Member

Thank You Carranode and LRusso216! Your information is very helpful and much appreciated! I really enjoy learning from all of you. All the information, web pages, and videos you have shared have been great! Thank You!