Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

USS Samuel B. Roberts painting

Discussion in 'Art of War' started by ULITHI, Jul 19, 2011.

1. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Howdy Folks!

Texson66 and Lou had suggested months ago that I do a painting of the "Sammy B" or something from Taffy 3, so here it is.

I want to thank them, as well as Takao and lwd for helping me out with some sources (such as the color of Battleship Kongo's shell splashes).

I tried to paint the Sammy B at around 8:50 AM on October 25th, 1944, where she is dueling with the Cruiser Chikuma, very shortly before battleship Kongo gets the range and finally hits her hard.

I tried to follow information from Hornfischer's book (Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors) which I checked out at the library. I tried to put the rain squalls and ships in the positions they might be in around that time frame from his maps throughout the book.

I did use a little "artist's interpretation" as well. I don't know if a ship fired a green dyed shell in the vicinity minutes before the scene takes place, or if there were any other shell splashes in the vicinity besides Kongo's. I'm not for sure if from this angle you could see Nagato, Yamato, and Kongo in the background. I don't know if any Wildcats were actually flying over.

I also forgot that her aft gun was knocked out of action at this time, but I can fix this later. I did put some of her rigging torn up from a shell flying through it.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied it. I hope I didn't doctor it up too much artistically, as I do want to honor her and her brave crew correctly.

Anyway, I hope you all like it!

Attached Files:

lwd, Otto, Victor Gomez and 7 others like this.
  2. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Here is one more pic showing Battleship Kongo on the Horizon. The last pic in the previous post shows Yamato followed by Nagato.

Attached Files:

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

Good on you, Darren. The details you can fix later. I'm glad you got the Sammy B. on canvas.

4. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I have only one word Darren: "WOW"!

I think this is your best painting thus far, and they just keep getting better and better. l don't see anything wrong with your "artistic license". The painting gets the point across very well (I think even a novice would quickly grasp the situation) while at the same time respecting the ship and her crew.

Once again, great work

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Most excellent Darren. Definitely most excellent.

What size is the canvas?

6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

The colors are vibrant and express the action going on... Really nice Heavy D.... To be the fellows firing the guns in open mounts while the main gun fires surely must have been nerve wracking.

7. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

It is not fair that one person should have this amount of talent! Nor is it fair that I cannot borrow some.

Keep your brushes wet Darren, Great Work!

8. Chi-Ri

Chi-Ri Member

I think this picture really expresses the dynamics of a naval battle. Well done! My congratulations.
    :)
    Regards,

9. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Another excellent painting Darren, thank you for sharing it with us.

10. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

I recently finished "Last Stand...", now maybe you should move on to "Neptune's Inferno" for your next excellent piece.

11. texson66

texson66 Ace

Great job, Darren! Excellent! You should send a note to the Sammy B group to let them know about your painting! Go to USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413 Survivors Association

(Now if we can just get some writers together for a Taffy 3 movie! i'd love to see it done "Tora!Tora! style; i.e., from the Japanese and American POV)

12. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

Thanks for the compliments folk, much appreciated.Jeff, to answer your question, it's done on a 16" x 20" "panel" canvas. That's the size I like the best, but unfortunately, I might need to downsize because I'm running out of wallspace.

13. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

I HAVE A LOT OF EMPTY WALL SPACE !

Matter of fact I was just telling my wife I'd like to have a mural on the basement wall (8' x 26' ) and a Battle scene would fit well.

Otto likes this.
  14. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

This is infuriating,every time I click a thumbnail the larger image pop's up,and then suddenly disappears.:(

15. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Forgive me, I was slow getting around for a look.............but I am not sorry I looked.........also I am glad you are from New Mexico, as I find it pleasing out in the desert some scenes of the ocean are created, and I am thankful for a place to view some of your work when you post .....it would be befitting to view these in person............anything going to be in the fair this year? Not sure yet if I will get to go but I hope to.

16. Otto

Otto Rested & Resupplied with MREs. Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

ULITHI's work here deserves a bump, I'm envious of such talent.

I'm quite pleased with the new art section, it's nice to have these things in one dedicated section.

17. lwd

lwd Ace

It certainly does deserve a bump. I think I missed it the first time around. Thanks for the bump and thanks to Ulithi for posting it.

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Hope u and yours are well Ulithi.
    He sent me a delicious colour pencil drawing. Well worth it.
    Best wishes to you, U.

19. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Wow, his work really is amazing!

20. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Yes, it is. Hoping we can see more