Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

V E Day 2020 - Britain -Mayday bank holiday

Discussion in 'The Members Lounge' started by MichaelBully, Jun 9, 2019.

1. MichaelBully

MichaelBully Active Member

Greeting, keep thinking about this. I hadn't thought that 75th anniversary would be significant . But following the commemoration of 75th anniversary of D Day here in Britain, seems that the 75th anniversary of VE Day is going to be marked.
    The early May bank holiday, usually the first Monday of May, will be moved to Friday 8th May 2020 to coincide with VE day.

Bank holiday changed to mark VE Day

As I have an interest in The Netherlands, noticed that the 75th anniversary plans have already started being prepared over there.

Personally I didn't expect any anniversary to be commemorated until 2039: Anyone here involved in any particular projects for VE Day 2020?

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

VE --VJ Day--a momentous, joyous-- in the least--day for the Allies....for the other ''side'', Germany, occupation and the very long road to recovery ......and Japan....I have to admire them somewhat for what they went through and how they came out of it ....

4. Grasmere

Grasmere New Member

Pity that many of the UK celebrations were either cancelled or ended up very low key with the coronavirus issues going on, but lovely to see the lone Spitfire flying over the white cliffs. Some things might be rescheduled for August 15th/16th, I don't know if this corresponds with VJ day or not. Here's hoping for the best, as those veterans who are left deserve a proper celebration.