Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Valkyrie"- Tom Cruise in General

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by formerjughead, Mar 25, 2010.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

A lame excuse is better than no excuse :lol:

I couln never be forced into watching that show with Snake Lips joy behar (sp?) & and the grossly untalented lady with the Tarantula hairdo-ya know which one she is? the one who was on Star Trek TNG.

I do have to admit that about 22 yrs ago, I was A regular viewer of Okras show. Heh heh, looks like Ed had alapse of sort yoo :=))

2. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Y'all are hopeless....the both of yous....

Can anyone come up with a fitting punishment?

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Back to the topic guys, unless Oprah was siting at the table at Tannenberg

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Tom Cruise is a wanker....

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

:lol: :lol:

Anyway, while watching Valkyrie, I had hoped they might show tommie falling down and breaking his nose. Ive always hated his nose.

In that the movie was already made, could another American actor best tommie in portraying the Col Count?

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I nominate Matthew McConnahey, ain't he from Texas?

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

He is and he lives here in Austin along with Sandra Bullock. I dont see that he'll be a good Stauffenberg because he looks nothing like him :))

PS, did i say that tom cruise is a wanker? if not? then ill say it now. Tom Cruise is a wanker.

8. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

Cruise....I've not met the man, so I'm not going to slag him off, even though he's made a bunch of films that should have ended up on the cutting floor.

I don't see why you Yanks attach such over-riding importance to actors or their opinions. Anyone can stand in front of a camera and be themselves, it's all in the direction really, and the casting. The best 'actor' can't make a script into something it isn't to begin with, so it's really the back-up personel that make a film what it is. The actors are just so much window dressing for gullible consumers to talk about.

WHEN are we going to get rid of the cult of the celebrity once and for all? When the Western world stops being anal, thats when. Or when Americans finally rid themselves of their over-riding obsession with the lives and loves of other people, particularly those that don't exist.

America must take it's fair share of the blame for the monster that is the cult of the celebrity, and for helping to put stars in the eyes of an entire generation or four, convinced that because you stand in front of a camera for less than one percent of your life, you deserve all the benefits that society can lavish on you. I barf every time one of those tedious "Making of...." programs finds it's way to our screen, where actors sit and praise other actors...I mean, what else are they going to do?

"Oh yeah, ...my time on the set of this movie was a complete and utter waste. Spielburg is a complete douche-bag, and the script really gave me an excuse to throw it down in a Hollywood kind of way and storm off the set. A guy just can't work under these conditions..."

No...we get a whole bunch of meaningless crap in exchange...

"This movie really taught me what a professional....(insert name here).....was. I've never seen anyone more intensly involved in their work. It was an honour to see...(insert name here)...working etc, etc etc....

How did we get to this point in Western 'culture'?

9. USMC

USMC Member

Forget about Cruise. How was the film itself? I havent seen it

10. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

the film itself was actually pretty good.. it was just the acting role of Stauffenburg that could have been better. The storyline was pretty accurate. It was filmed at the Bendlerblock, exact location of Von Stauffenburg's headquarters and where his exectution took place.

11. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I thougth that the movie was ok, but as formerjughead says, this is a "slam Tom Cruise" thread. Sing his praises elsewhere please....

12. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I think Jake Gyllenhaal should have gotten the part over Tom Cruise. After the way he nailed the part of Anthony Swafford in "Jarhead", I think he'd have made a really good von Stauffenberg. Too bad "Jarhead" isn't a WWII flick or we could get Formerjughead to do a review/thread on it.

;)

13. Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight Member

Trust me, a lot of us DONT attach diddley-squat to what actors say or do. That's a common bit of mis-information about us Americans, a sterotype if you will, and one I'll gladly contest.

The only actor I have a great deal of respect for, is Steve Buscemi.

"The day after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Steve Buscemi, who worked as a firefighter from 1980-1984, showed up at his old fire station, Engine Company No. 55 in the Little Italy section of New York.

For the next week he worked 12-hour shifts, digging through the rubble trying to find the bodies of missing firefighters, all the while refusing to do interviews or have his picture taken."

Now THAT is a guy to look up to!

Peace, Love and gumbo.

14. Long Bars

Long Bars Member

I enjoyed Valkyrie. It could have been much better, but at the same time it also could have been much worse. I'm pretty neutral on the choice of Tom Cruise to play Stauffenberg, I thought he did a decent job, and I don't really understand why he gets slammed all the time.

15. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I don't think he likes that movie nor it's writer very much.

Tom Cruise gets slammed because he is such a douche....

16. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Don't even get me started on that thing

17. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

[​IMG]

The Part! he does have a similar look...:)

18. Long Bars

Long Bars Member

Well, you can't deny that. But you can be a douche and still be a decent actor.

19. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Your "decent" rating of Tom Cruiser is debatable. Ok is probably better. At times.

20. Long Bars

Long Bars Member

[​IMG]

They did look pretty dang alike, but that is no reason to pick someone to play a part. My opinion on Cruise's portrayal is the same as my opinion of the movie itself: could have been better, could have been worse.