Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Vermont declares war on Germany

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by A-58, Sep 28, 2017.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I didn't know this, but in 1941, the state of Vermont passed a resolution enabling its servicemen to receive wartime bonuses by declaring the US to be in a state of armed conflict, thus give rise to headlines that Vermont had declared war on Germany.

This reminds me of what happened here in Louisiana during the Persian Gulf War (part 1) of a similar nature. When many of the national guard and reserve units were being called up prior to the commencing of hostilities, state legislators declared that those members of various police departments in the state should keep their state supplemental pay while called up. At the time the amount was $260.00 a month for LEO and EMTs and firemen. Good thing that the war was a real short one.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana WW2|ORG Editor

What was the date on the Vermont resolution? Was it after FDR declared an unlimited national emergency?

3. Takao

Takao Ace

Yes, several months after FDRs declaration...September 13, 1941.

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana WW2|ORG Editor

Hmmmm, gotta look into that.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

Found this bit about Vermont. Evidently they voted for a "bonus" to help their own. Interesting.

Fortunately for Vermont draftees and their families, President Roosevelt had on Sept. 11 ordered the U.S. Navy to shoot first if it encountered German warships entering U.S. waters.

Vermont lawmakers seized on the chance to redefine ‘armed conflict.’ They called it a state of national emergency in which the president orders armed force to protect lives or property that may be endangered by any hostile foreign power.

In other words, Vermont declared war on Nazi Germany.
    Why Vermont Declared War on Nazi Germany Months Before Pearl Harbor - New England Historical Society

lwd and OpanaPointer like this.