Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Veterans Day, November 11th

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Erich, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Gentlemen:

I am a little premature but we will be celebrating this memorial day tomorrow. I will salute all my friends both past and present that served on both sides. I would encourage all the readers of these forum's to go out of their way and call, write or go see personally a vet tomorrow and thank them for your freedom. I'll have about 50 e-mails to send out tomorrow, plus thanking both my dad's for serivng in the Navy during WW2, plus a still wounded brother in-law via Vietnam. So guys, I expect you all to get with it !

Erich

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I wish I could have been here yesterday to say something for the vets but, the internet was down and I was working.

At any rate--we all OWE these vets for our freedoms and WE LAA should at least try to recognize it even if only as a posting on a forum.

3. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Cool icon, heck it is raing here ! Hey bud.....quite weekend here. Posted to several vets and no reply, infact I tried the www.heavybombers.com forum and nothing going.
    Very strange.....well I am writing two German former nachtjäger pilots right now to send off. One is ill so I am not sure what will happen as to a responce. Just another reaosn for all the guys to get out there and get busy. Everyone has always thought they have time and nothing will happen to these old soldiers, but sorry to say it is not true at all anymore. They are leaving us way too fast....... :(

E

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Double Dittos......

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

Thriple ditto's ! I have written two guys today and now working on a third which was a rear gunner in Heinz Rökker's crew and after him Heinz himself. I'm tired of being tired of not writing these guys, so I'll try my best before the end of the month or else I probably won;t see anything with the Christmas rush.......

;) E

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I hear you my friend, I HEAR you. This morning, the internet was still down from being down since Monday so I had no access to sites or emails till 1:22 pm this afternoon.

This morning I finished my letter to Remy for you, Karl Kaiser, Micki Muller and Martin Drewes for myself. I still need to do a letter to Bernhard Trenn, Dieter Hille and Captain Richard Wallace Annand, who is a British Victoria Cross Recipient from London (Durham) England.

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Thank you sir ! Did you receive my private mail about Wlater Engle ?

;) E

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Yup, but I havent had time to check because of internittent lightning storm and power outages today. I just got back to this forum and its starting to lightning real bad here again an lights are coming on and off as I type.

[ 15 November 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Yikes ! Don;t get zapped. I just about did last July during a doozy of a thunder/lightning storm. I could feel the static in the air in my office......and whoa, Off I went.

don't see the Walter Engel listed, but that's quite ok. Maybe Christain can check to see if he is still around possibly... ? I tried da-ritterkreuz site out but alas nothing there......

E

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ive and others have been sending Christian emails, but to date--noone is getting replies--dunno whats going on?? Worst case is possibly he has passed away??

I just checked this am and was about to let you know that I didnt see Engels name either :(

Oh and its still raining here [​IMG] is about 15 degrees cooler :D :D :D and thunder and lightening are still flashing and booming :eek: :eek: my favorite weather :cool:

[ 16 November 2001: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

Hopefully he is on holidays and nothing is wrong. I will write WErner Hoffmann RK holder next week as both of the guys were in the same gruppe together for awhile.''

Thanks for the info......

E

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

No telling. I last wrote to him because I have info he wanted on Rudolf Felgenhauer, an RKT that moved to Napa Valley California, who is buried there. He died in 1990 by his own hand. He had lived there for I think 16 years.

I have a copy of his death certificate, and I wanted to pass it on to Christian as he and the OdR, needed the info.

Apparently, Felgenhauer put a pistol to his head and shot himself due to the recent passing of his wife. :(

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

So then Christain is in charge of all of the OdR or is he the representative for the organization ?

You know I had a customer that was with the merchant marines and was ivolved with taking on U-boats on an occasion. The guy hung himslef in his bedroom with two months after his wife's passing. had I known his tendantcy for feeling this way I would of done my utmost to try and get the guy some help. Life can be unfair at times.....

E

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Christian just does volunteer wort for the OdR, but he is a full lifetime member of it.

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Suicide is a terrible thing to witness, I witnessed several attempts at it when I was working as a Correctional Officer for the state prisons.

Let alone an attempt made by friends or people you personally know is a tragedy. A lifelong friend of mine used a .357--not much left. Another friend of mine used a car to commit suicide with--unfortunately he killed another person in the process. Hie own brother--used a revolver--but he was a loon anyway.