Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Vimoutiers Auction.

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by von Poop, Oct 22, 2007.

1. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I realise many of you chaps who regularly visit or live in France prefer to find your militaria under bushes, but this might interest you:

Auction of a French collectors bits and pieces on 10th, 11th & 12th November, amongst dozens of motorcycles there's a wide range of ww2 bits and pieces from Panzer Jacks to mine detectors and towed artillery. Amongst the vehicles going under the hammer are jeeps, a Kettenkraftrad, Opel Blitz, Kubel, Schwimmer, & Einheits Diesel.

Bikes from page one, Militaria from page 6(ish), bigger vehicles on last two pages:
    Vente aux enchères : MILITARIA & DIVERS, COLLECTION A. ROUDEIX*-*VIMOUTIERS*-* 10/11/07

Cheers,
    Adam.

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Oh my what a pile of junk! luckily I saw the kubel, but no Schwimmer and there is a bunch of old iron that looks like my back yard. It looks dirt cheap though , I might go , it's less than three hours from home.

3. Joe

Joe Ace

When you said 'towed artillery', I had a picture in my mind of several 10.5cm field howitzers, but that was shattered when I saw the pictures. :D

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Schwimwagen looks very complete, I see it's estimated at roughly the same price as the Kettenkrad, which surprised me.

5. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

I want the Kettenkrad...no the Kubel...no the Schwimmwagen ??? Or maybe a bicycle with one wheel ! :rolleyes:

6. bigfun

bigfun Ace

wow, the jeep looks great!!

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Some really fascinating stuff there, but I'd rather find it myself....;)

I note that these items are from the Alain Roudeix collection ; he is legendary for finding Falaise relics and most of his collection forms the basis of the August '44 Museum at Falaise........

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It's amazing that there are still so many things to find. I know where to dig out an entire german convoy near my home, it's on a private property and the owner does not want any excavations, so it's quite frustrating to have it so close... nearby one house has its fundations built on four R.R Lancacaster engines, another one is built on the wreckage of a Ju88.... The workers "just" cut the wing to lay the bricks.. That was in the 1960s.

9. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

And recovered the Vimoutiers Tiger.
    Seems he has passed away and this is the fate of his collection.

10. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I had brought this up several years ago with Martin and others fortunate enough to visit the Ardenne. The LW Nachtjagd lost more night fighters during December 1944 than any period in it's existance, and many of these losses are attributed to Allied AA fire. many Bf 110G-4's and Ju 88G's have been lost with no trace over the dense confireous woods with the crews MIA. Imagine having the time to really explore thoroughly. Some are being found but very very slowly. Everyone knows that there has to be huge pieces hanging up in the dense woods. Personally I'd like to be there right now ........ ~ :wolf:

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Is Roudeix really dead? Sad to hear that, especially because his liftime collection gets dipersed.

12. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I beleive he passed away earlier this year. I was sad to hear it, as - to any avid reader of After The Battle - he was literally 'a legend in his own lifetime'......

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I know he was, he a passionate searcher and collector, but for some reason I missed the date of his death. Nothing surprising. I heard about the death of Clostermann form an English firends too. It seems like the news in France has other priorities, like football...

14. interencheres Team

interencheres Team recruit

15. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Thank you!
    My French is nonexistent but that was still fascinating.
    What a pile of stuff...

Cheers,
    Adam.

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

great link,

Adam, if you need a small translation just ask a,d I'll be glad to help. If it's a big one, just ask your computer translator.

von Poop likes this.
  17. Mats

Mats Member

Hello everybody!

Well, the auction must be over now. Is there anyone who can give us any info about it?

I'm very curious about what people paid for the wonderful things that were for sale, and I do not think that I am the only one!

Mats

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

19. Mats

Mats Member

Skipper,

Thanks a lot!!

Mats

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You are welcome Matts, I tried to find an article about Monday, but nothing sofar. However on a French forum there is a tetimony of a man who was there. He said people went nuts and paid fortunes for eveything, even crap. 200-400 euros for a pile of boxes. 150 euros for a few German helmets covered with rust.... Most of the material was acquired by a few private collectors or Museums.
    The Commonwealth material was sold for a much cheaped price and some made excellent bargains.