Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Viruses On This Site

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by Volga Boatman, Sep 6, 2011.

1. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I'm getting "Virus Warning" and "Attack Site" messages. Google diagnostic confirms a malicious script. Here's a capture of Google's diagnostic:

View attachment 14163

Attached Files:

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I hadn't had any trouble until the wife checked Facebook. I haven't been able to get on at all until I turned off the "block site" thing. Everythinggggggggg wejkd seems to be fine nooow. ?

3. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

just to let you guys know,i just logged in and i got an attack page warning from my antivirus program.

4. sonofacameron

sonofacameron Member

Firefox would not open the site first thing this morning, obviously ok now. My AVG anti virus blocked me on I.E too with same message as Volga Boatman got, re Black Hole etc.

5. leccy1

leccy1 Member

I have been prevented by Google on my Linux lappie from logging in for 24 hours now, just ignored the warnings. I had the same as is in post 21 but never got the option to ignore till today.

6. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

I was attacked on entry tonight, same as before, with the jump to forum page

7. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

I'd attack you to if I saw you in the middle of the night.

8. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Is this another rogue ad that's causing the infected-site warnings? I use Firefox, got the big red warning screen this morning (main forum index page), and had to turn off the warning to get in here. Virus scan (Microsoft Security Essentials) came up clean.

9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

FWIW, I looked up the site last week on :google: and it indicated there was a malicious script. Checked it today and the warning is gone. Presumably, :google: has given the Forum the "all clear". :D

10. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Opera reporting this site is a mailware danger today.

11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

dealt with. Received a warning some 12 hours ago, but apparently Otto cleaned it .

12. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Flashback has attached itself to the site. When logging in, the fake "upgrade" window appears. Easy to tell because it does not use the current Adobe logos in it's window.

In a "flash," Mac users can unknowingly download a harmful Trojan.
    The Trojan, called "Flashback," has been spotted hiding inside phony Adobe Flash Player installers, and if downloaded, it can wreak havoc on Apple's OS X operating system, according to the security firm Intego, which discovered it.

"If the user proceeds with the installation procedure, the installer for this Trojan horse will deactivate some
    network security
    software code," Intego wrote in a blog post. After weakening the Mac's defenses โ€” which, depending on the browser, are set to automatically download installation packages โ€” Flashback is able to inject malicious code onto infected computers and report the compromised system's media access control (MAC) address, an identifier unique to each computer, back to a remote server.
    This new threat comes hot on the heels of "Revir," last week's Mac Trojan, which disguised itself a Chinese-language PDF document about the Pinnacle Islands in order to slip unnoticed into Apple users' systems.
    Although Intego said it has received only one report from a victim who accidentally downloaded Flashback, the potential pool of victims remains high, as the Trojan chose a smart host. Mac OS X does not include Adobe Flash Player. That said, Intego believes "some users may be fooled and think this is a real installation link" for the desirable software product.
    Stay ahead of this and other Mac-specific computer threats by running anti-virus software built for Apple's operating system. If you browse the
    Web
    with Safari, Intego recommends unchecking the "Open Safe files after downloading" in the browser's "General preferences" menu.
    A parting bit of advice: Just because you use a Mac does not mean you are invulnerable to cybercrooks and
    scammers. New types of sophisticated computer threats have emerged with their sights set on Macs, and it's crucial to recognize that your system, whether it's a laptop, an iPhone or and iPad, is not safe simply by virtue of its maker.

13. LJAd

LJAd Well-Known Member

very good information,although I do not understand ONE word of it:eek:

14. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I believe that what this means is that the Mac OS, long not attacked by hackers and malware/trojans/virus programs have not also come under attack like the PC OS style. Being a "Mac" isn't a shield anymore, nor are they invulnerable, and this might be where these "malware" warnings are coming from, those who use Mac OS not PC OS. Just a thought.

15. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

We've grown beyond being irritated with VBulletin and their inability to provide a secure forum engine.

Be on the look out for major changes.

von Poop likes this.
  16. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

it means that someone finally wrote a trojan horse virus for a Mac. You think you're downloading something trusted, and you're instead installing a virus on your machine. It's about the only way to get a virus on a Mac, by telling your own machine it's ok to load it up.

17. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Jeff, have you been in touch with Otto? I truly hope we can find a more stable platform.

18. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Yes, I've been talking to him. The problem has been vBulletin all along, but I figured that with problems at other forums that are running the same forum engine.
    The new owners of vB apparently thought all they had to do was produce a product and turn it loose and not worry about or fix problems. It is bitting them in the butt as they are losing customers.

19. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

Hi guys,I use Mac,but my avg is telling me everything is fine.I hope it isn't me.?cheers,Lee.

20. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member