Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

VJ Day

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by LRusso216, Aug 14, 2018.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Just a reminder that today (August 14) is VJ Day. I'm surprised no one else mentioned it. Somewhat disappointing.

JJWilson likes this.
  2. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Outside of a setting like this, Nobody remembers VJ day unfortunately.............along with the majority of the war in Asia and the Pacific. Thanks for the reminder Lou......

3. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

This, from my original posting on the BBC PEOPLE'S war;

VJ DAY
    Tuesday 14th August 1945
    I remember the day well even though I’ve long since lost the original diary entry. Our Squadron was in Trieben in Austria at the time, ,controlling the roads leading into Germany and I had just come off the road-block guard in the early afternoon.
    I was changing from my guard uniform into more comfortable gear when I heard the wireless in the next room creating quite a racket.
    I went next door to see what was going on and found myself the only one there.
    I realised that my mates were probably eating dinner in the mess-hall and that they must have been listening earlier and had then left the set on.
    It was VE Day all over again. The announcer back in London was describing the noisy scene as tens of thousands of jubilant servicemen and civilians swarmed the streets. As on VE Day I felt no emotion at all, if anything, I probably felt like a kid who had not been invited to a party and who was now watching the lucky ones coming home with their party bags.

The short explanation was that the end of the war had come too late for my older brother Jack, G-d rest his soul. On the 11th of May, just three days after VE Day, I had received a letter from home telling me that Jack, who was an Air-Gunner, had been shot down over Nuremberg on the last such raid of the war.
    The loss to his widow, his two young children and to all of our family was as incalculable then as it is today some fifty odd years later and our family was never to be the same again.

Ron

JJWilson and Half Track like this.
  4. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I'd grown up with VJ Day being September 2nd.

5. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

That's also when I remember VJ day, it's right after the 1st day of the War as well, September 1st.

6. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Are you British? VJ Day is August 14th for them.

7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

No, I'm American. There are certainly different dates for VJ Day. August 14 is the date fighting stopped. It is commemorated on September 2 in the US. There was a small article in my local newspaper mentioning VJ Day on August 14.

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Announced on the 14/15th August...signed on the 2nd of Sep.

9. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Just wondering. I looked up how V-J Day is commemorated in different places, and I always saw that the U.S. marked the occasion on September 2nd.