Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Voigtlander &sohn binoculars inscribed ...General lumsden

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by Claudia Morris, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Claudia Morris

Claudia Morris New Member

Hi I have some binoculars found in my aunts loft.They look so old and interesting but I know nothing about them.
    They are made by voigtlander &sohn but they are also inscribed ...General lumsden.
    I wondered who he was and if these actually were his...any information would be greatly received thanks...claudia.

2. harolds

harolds Member

I have a Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifle with a Voightlander & Sohn scope. They were a well regarded optics company and were granted many patents-several of which were bought by Zeiss. The company didn't survive WW2.

3. Takao

Takao Ace

I'd point out that the company did survive WW2, and was not sold to Zeiss until 1956.

The only Generals named Lumsden that I am familiar with were all British.
    Herbert Lumsden - Wikipedia
    Maybe they were a war trophy.

4. Claudia Morris

Thankyou for thinformation

5. Claudia Morris

Thankyou . When you say war trophy do you mean taken from the other side...claudia

6. Takao

Takao Ace

Possibly...He found them in an overrun German camp. Or they could have been a captured pair given to him by some of the men he commanded.

But, you say that they are marked "voigtlander &sohn"...If that is correct, they may have been purchased by him during the inter-war period, because if they were Heer
    issue, they should be marked with "ddx" - this was the three letter manufacturer code for voigtlander &sohn.

Like these.
    [​IMG]

7. harolds

harolds Member

No, we were both wrong. Zeiss got controlling interest in 1925 and acquired the company outright in 1965.

8. Takao

Takao Ace

Nope.

Schering AG bought controlling interest in 1923, with mass production beginning in 1925. Schering AG sold the company to Zeiss in 1956.

9. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

I collect cameras.
    Some of my favourite 'users' when I could be bothered to process & print film were 50s & 60s Voigtlanders. Beautiful rangefinders with the most satisfying controls & remarkable accuracy.
    None of which has anything to do with Lumsden or his binoculars. Merely a passing comment.

Quite the soldier, if it is he (DSOs don't grow on trees).
    German bins far from uncommon among allied soldiers. Private pre-war purchase or captured (despite a wider reputation for slightly shoddy German manufacturing only just starting to subside in the 20s/30s, their optics were always respected.) With a chap like him, even possibly picked up in First War service.
    As one of Monty's Corps Commanders, there might well be a shot with bins visible out there somewhere.

Could you share a picture of the inscription, Claudia?

10. harolds

harolds Member

Not according to Historic Camera website. Schering AG did buy controlling interest in '23 but turned around and sold it to Zeiss in '25. Bought the whole thing, lock, stock and barrel, in '65.

11. Takao

Takao Ace

You do realize that "1965" is a typo, and it should be 1956.
    3 websites and 2 books say differently.

The two companies were merged into one in 1965. It had been bought lock, stock and barrel in '56, but remained a separate entity.

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Do you know anything of family military service connected to your aunt, Claudia?
    An indication of someone that could have served with Lumsden might help.
    If your family is in the UK, it could indicate, a gift, but if American, given the circumstances of his death on a US ship, the chain of ownership might conceivably be a little different.

Lots of mights & coulds, I'm afraid.