Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Walter Marlowe, 101st Airborne Division

Discussion in 'Honor, Service and Valor' started by Slipdigit, Jun 26, 2009.

1. W Marlowe

W Marlowe WWII Veteran

Red Cross notifications:

The Geneva Convention required combatants to keep track of POWs and enemy dead buried by you. I turned the info over to the Regimental Casualt Officer for disposition.

You know as much as I did at the time. I also turned the dog tag of any of my people buried in the field. Another reason some men did not want to commanders.

As Ever,

Walter L. Marlowe

( Airborne all the Way):)

IBBARR likes this.
  2. surfersami

surfersami Member

Mr. Marlow,
    I was watching a current movie of which during an action seen more ammunition seemed to be expended than on D-Day itself. How often did you aim as opposed to just laying down a field of fire? It seems todays films show the "bad guys" hosing down the "good guys" with thousands of rounds and never hitting, while the "good guy" methodically snap shoots every one of the "bad guys".
    I know this is just Hollywood, but were there times you just pointed in the direction of the enemy and emptied your rifle? Or did you use a very purposed aim?
    John

3. W Marlowe

W Marlowe WWII Veteran

Surfersami:

As an elistedman I was a marksman of some skill before I fired I likesee my target. I feel quite sure that my platoon knew of my marksmanship beliefs and to a large degree adapted them to their own methods. As I have said before runningout of ammo is nota good thing.

Coservation of ammo was near and dear to a units commanders heart.

As Ever,

Walter L. Marlowe

(Airborne all the Way):)

4. kevindistel

kevindistel Member

Hello Mr. Marlowe,

Thank you for your service and thank you for participating in this fascinating thread. With respect to prisoners; do you recall handing them over to, or working with Joe Pangerl for interrogation? I know he was on IPW detail for a good part of the war.

I know you served with Major Vaughn, did you happen to be with him and the Cole group at the T junction when he was killed?

If you were present I would be curious about your recollection of those events, if it is not too painful.

I know Dick Ladd (502 RHQ S2) was there and has recently shed some additional light on the occurrences that morning.

Thank you very much,

Kevin Distel

5. W Marlowe

W Marlowe WWII Veteran

kevindistal:

I was on D Day part of the 2nd Bn. My platoon was assigned Exit No. 4 and the St.Martin de Varreville Battery. If we did not get it the 3rd Bn was to pick it up with exit No.3. The D Day plan called for th 4th Divto land at Exit 4. They landed at Exit No.1. The 1st Bn had responsibility for securing it. Thats why Harrison Summers had to take WXYZ on D Day morning.

I did not learn of Jack Vaughns Death until June 7.

As Ever,

Walter L. Marlowe

Vintovka likes this.
  6. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Mr Marlowe, I have two questions if you do not mind.

Did you even encounter any SDKFZ Half-tracks (Manned or empty) in your travels? If so, what did you think of them?

Were you ever forced to use German weapons?

7. W Marlowe

W Marlowe WWII Veteran

Totekopt:

German half track were first encounted by me in the fight at Hill 30 just beyound Carentan. Their armor was not as thick as we thought. The .50 AP round penetrated its side armor easily.

Air cover would make shorth work of them. In Holland IX Fighters mostly P 47s took out both half tracks and German light armored cars.

As Ever,

Walter L. Marlowe

IBBARR and Totenkopf like this.
  8. TeeCee

TeeCee Member

Dear Mr. Marlowe,

First of all I would like to extend my utmost gratitude for having fought to help liberate Europe. Thanks to you and so many others, I could enjoy my youth the way I did. Thanks!

I have a question for you : When in Normandy, did you come close to a place called La Madeleine? This was a tiny village about 875 Yards from Utah Beach. I was just wandering how close to Utah Beach you came.
    If so, do you remember perhaps any civilians that lived their?

Thierry

9. W Marlowe

W Marlowe WWII Veteran

Thierry:

The 2nd Bn.closer to St. Marcouf than La Madeliene. I got close enough to Utah beach to see the surf on D Day but the 4tyh Division landed at Exit 1 near Poupeville. after D day my unit moved toward Carentan.

I spent a lot of time near RN13. highway and around Carentan.

As Ever,

Walter L. Marlowe

10. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Mr Marlowe: Was there a great number of French civilians to be found in Normandy?

Were they usually found in attics and bomb shelters?

11. W Marlowe

W Marlowe WWII Veteran

Totekopf:

Most of the French civil population were people that lived in the small villages. They appeared to be most middle aged. If some could talk to us we had liguist that could interpert.

Most civilian had heard the naval bombardment and stayed under cover.

About June 8 I got to meet my first member of the FFI.

As Ever,

Walter L. Marlowe

Totenkopf likes this.
  12. David Cohen

David Cohen Member

First I would like to thank you so much for your service. You saved my life quite literately because my grandfather was a Holocaust survivor. I have read and re-read your experiences and I cannot wait to learn more about what you did.

13. promoguy765

promoguy765 recruit

Coming from a veteran also, Thank you for your selfless service to our country. I hope you can continue your story. I am interested in where your journey has taken you in your military career. Thanks for your time.....

Capt. Mast

14. W Marlowe

W Marlowe WWII Veteran

Ladies and Gentelmen:

To continue with our pre D Day events. On June 1 we werenotfied that we would not depart from Green Commoin Airfield as planned.Divisio had decided that the 2nd Battalion would depart with Division HQ from Welford Airfield. Our 1 st and rd Battalions would depart from Greenham Common. Wewere informed that our planned date would be late on June 4 to arrive in the continent eary AM June 5.

We were to take up residence at Welford by June 3. We would be quartered in aircraft hangers andfed by the airbase staff.

A final check of equipment would be made June 1 and we would move the afternoon of June 2.The morning of departur day all would shower and shave before putting on combat face covering ( For the record the facecovering was a mix of cocoa powder and lindseed oil and it not very tastey.

The move in went OK and on the 3rd I I took my platoon plus the Airborne Engineers Attached dow to the building that had the terrain model where we would drop. I againd reviewed out assigned objectives, rally points,and objectives. Cricket were also issued. ( If wish to know why send a private message and I will explain)

We had one hour of PT before evening meal on the 3rd. Morning of the 4th we ran the perimiter of the airfied had breakfast. After breakfast issued ammo and fused grenades. All radio equipment had new batteries loaded.

Aircraft were to arrive on the moprning of the 4th.

As Ever,

Walter L. Marlowe:p

(Airborne All The Way)

15. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Thanks for these periodic updates, Mr. Marlowe. They are vivid reminders of what occurred 65 years ago.

16. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I've been following the SWPA threads but now engrossed in your accounts. Thanks.

17. v4victory

v4victory Member

Thanks for sharing this with us.

I respect and thank you

Good Health to you

18. W Marlowe

W Marlowe WWII Veteran

Ladies and Gentelmen:

Our move to Welford was made on June 2,1944. Part of the Battalion was moved by trucks but the rest of us marched. It was a little over 7 miles.

When we arrived at Welford we noticed that they had installed a very high fence around the airport and it was patrolled by armed guards.

We were directed to our quarters in the aircraft hangers. The bunks were 4 high and officers were quarted in the offices at the side of the hangers.

Our schedule was postecd for June 3. E Company was to be briefed at 13:00 Hours. Fred Drennon our company commander passed the word to all thatt we would be getting a Detachment od Parachute Engineers.

The arrived just before chow and I believe their commander was a Lt. named Zimmer. As I understand the mission the first platoon puls attacheed engineers were to assualt the battery and disable the guns then rejoin the comany at exit 4.

We had a hot supper and had a final weapons check before turning in.

Wll Pause,

As Ever,

Walter L. Marlowe

( Airborne all the Way)

19. W Marlowe

W Marlowe WWII Veteran

Ladies and Gentelmen:

June 3 was briefing day after morning run and breakfast we gor our briefing time. My group was scheduled for 16:00 hours. Fred Drennonn told me he wanted set in in case of a FUBAR on great proportion happened he and the remaining platoons of the company would complete the mission.

On the afternoonn of the third we went into the building that had the terrain modle of Drop Zone A. All towns were now labled and each squad leader had photographs to help them as they talked to their squads. I showed every one where the battery was supposed to be located, the germans had did a fair job of trying to hide it.

We added ( 4) 1/4 lb blocks of TNT to everyone load and all officers and seargeant would carry Electric blasting caps taped to the blade of their entrenching tool. I covered all of my maps with clear plastic and with a grease pencil circled St. Martin de Varreville.

One we landed all plane commanders would roll up their sticks. You did this by beiing the first out of the aircraft anfter landing walk in the direction of the planes flight. We then issued the crickets and explained that one click was a challangs and you replied with two clicks. The Normandy operation
    was the only one we used crickets'

We came out of briefing and the weather looked bad. We were worried about wind speed if gust exceeded 20 mph were not to jump. Our schedule was to board aircraft on the late PM of June 4 and jump just after midnight into Normandy June 5.

We knew that if June 5 was concelled we would have know by 12:00 hrs
    June 4.

As Ever,

Walter L. Marlowe

( Airborne All The Way0:)

20. theblackalchemist

theblackalchemist Member

Reminds me of the film Longest day.

I am happy to know that you are willing to unearth past memories, that would have been otherwise concealed.

Was it true that when some Germans reloaded their weapons, sounds similar to two clicks from the cricket buzzed out, leading to deception?

Waiting to hear more, sir.

Regards
    TBA