Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

WAR IN THE PACIFIC: Admirals Edition

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by USMCPrice, Nov 1, 2011.

1. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Anybody here own or play this game? It's a bit pricey but the amount of detail, research and data it contains IMO justifies it.

USS Washington likes this.
  2. USS Washington

USS Washington Active Member

I neither own it nor have I played it, but I have seen it on Youtube, and it makes me interested in getting it, though I'm wondering if Matrix games trustworthy site, since I would have to give them my credit card info to buy it?

3. Takao

Takao Ace

4. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I've bought a lot of games from them over the years and have always been pleased. Never had a bad experience with them, they are an excellent company to deal with. I've always used a credit card with no issues.

5. USS Washington

Excellent! I'm also wondering if I have to make an account on their site in order to buy their games, much like Amazon?

6. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I'm not sure. I don't remember because I created an account to have my games registered in case of a computer crash. I always bought not just the digital download, but the hard copy (DVD) and manual. I had a hard drive crash about a year ago, I got a new replacement drive, installed it and was attempting to restore all my programs. I had issues restoring some of my programs from my backup media. I decided to restore those programs that I had disks for from the original installation disks. That's when I realized, there were numerous disks I had misplaced over time. Two of the games I couldn't find were, the Matrix release of the Talonsoft Battleground Civil War compilation and John Tiller's Campaign Series (A compilation of the games East Front, West front and Rising Sun). I contacted Matrix, signed in, downloaded the software, they had all my registration info and software ID numbers on file and I had everything re-installed in no time. No looking for product keys, serial numbers, etc. I'd have no problem recommending the company to anyone.

7. USS Washington

I just went on to Matrix games to register, and afterwards it said to go to my email to click on the link to confirm it, but the confirmation message is from Slitherine Same Login System, not matrix, and it says "You have recently registered with this username: *******," now the username is correct, but is Slitherine same associated with matrix, and is it trustworthy?

8. Takao

Takao Ace

Matrix and Slitherine merged back in 2010, and have merged again with a few other companies. IIRC, they are utilizing a unified login that allows their users to use one account(or merge several existing accounts into one) for their several websites.

9. USS Washington

Cool, thank you Takao.

10. Triton

Triton New Member

Visited the Matix website recently and found a lot of Games about WW2:
    http://www.matrixgames.com/products/?p=19&a=3

Most of them not as expensive as War in the Pacific, the choice is extremly tempting. Maybe this is a german problem, but here PC games about WW2 are rare.
    Maybe for legal reasons, swastikas are not allowed in Germany, visible blood also in Ego-Shooters.

So, does anybody know if the games are allowed in Germany?

11. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Most are downloadable, so unless the thought police are watching I'd say you probably wouldn't get caught if downloaded over the internet. We have no such restrictions, and I don't pretend to know what legal prohibitions exist in Germany, or what the penalties are involved, so I'm not telling you to do it. Of course that's a personal decision on your part. Me, I'm just stubborn enough that I wouldn't care if the PC crowd liked it or what restrictions were in place.

12. Triton

Triton New Member

Usually I don't care what is going on in a crazy brain of somebody somewhere and the penalties are not severe. But that's not the point. I don't want to end up on a "Nazi-list" only because of a little bit of gaming fun. Nazi-terrorists killed far more people in Germany the last years than extreme islamists.

There is a reason that i don't find any Matrix game in Germany, new or used. I only did find a used one in Austria.
    Maybe Pazific Admiral is allowed, no swastika, ss-signs and so on. Even the flag of the german fleet in WWI is not allowed, Nazis used it because it has the same coulours.

13. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I understand, but history is history. I think banning a historical game because you don't agree with the political beliefs of one of the historical participants is foolish. If I'm playing Rome Total War and am playing the side of the pagan-barbarian hordes it doesn't mean I approve of raping, pillaging and burning. It's a military/economic simulation and not one of ideals.
    I can't imagine why anyone would want to be a Neo-Nazi, I don't understand how they can fly an American flag alongside a Nazi Flag. We fought them, I had relatives that fought them, but I don't think I have a right to ban their behavior because they're morons, only if they physically hurt other people. I used to play "War Thunder". I used to play as the Germans sometimes. Not because I admired the Nazi philosophy, I just liked some of the equipment.