Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

War journal adaptation to graphic novel

Discussion in 'Non-fiction' started by NCGP, Feb 7, 2018.

1. NCGP

NCGP New Member

Thanks for this opportunity. I'm currently in the works of adapting my grandfather's war journal into a graphic novel (I'm a comic book artist).
    For this I'll need to be certain about a few things, and I'm aware some more questions may come up during the drawing process. I'd love to have the chance to keep asking questions as they arise.
    For sure I'd be happy to credit all the people that'll help me.

The journal narrates the story of my grandfather as an italian marine prisoner of the nazis: his travels, works, adventures and misfurtunes while in Berlin. He was taken prisoner in Tortona, Italy, in 9/9/43. And for now I'd like to be sure how his uniform was, and maybe have some context of why he was there. I know that after Mussolini's fall most of the italian troops switched sides.

Other important question: At some point they're forced to join a german battalion. Later in the journal he mentions that it is a "Batt. di disciplina della condena", which I think he may be reffering to the german "Strafbattalions", but I'm not completely sure.

I'd love to have some help! I'll be looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks,
    NC

2. lwd

lwd Ace

Sorry can't help too much directly but you might want to consider asking specific questions over on the info request sub forum. Including the nationality in the title of the thread will usually help as well. We do have several Italian members some of long standing and quite knowledgeable so attracting their attention will help a lot.

Good luck with your efforts and welcome aboard.

3. NCGP

NCGP New Member

Thanks, I'll do!

4. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. That's a great idea, look forward to taking look.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

6. NCGP

NCGP New Member

Thanks everyone!

Hope this doesn't count as "spam" (it isn't the idea), but in the link below you'll be able to follow the advance of my personal projects. I'm working in only 2 for now. The adaptation is called "Marino", and you'll see a couple of pictures of the journal there. I'll be uploading new stuff as I (slowly) advance.

N. F. Colacitti is creating new concept comics | Patreon

Thanks again!

7. lwd

lwd Ace

Not spam at all. We even have a sub forum for such works by our contributors. See:
    Quill and Ink
    PLS consider starting a thread there for your works.

8. NCGP

NCGP New Member

Thanks to all! Please, everyone that shared information with me, also send me your name if you will, to later have you in the "thanks to" section of the book :)

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

G'day...im an old "drawer" from way back...I like your style mate...realistic with personal styling...Your quality will certainly open your story up to more people. Goodluck!

NCGP likes this.
  10. NCGP

NCGP New Member