Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

War Movie Still Photos From All Periods

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Skipper, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Hmm, the Longest Day? For the crazy british Sergeant at the beach.

Carl, its always interesting to see Ray´s pics and read your comments. Is there a war movie that you haven´t seen?

Take care

Ulrich

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

hi ulrich, no! not all the pics/stills are my postings, carl sends me pics he wants me to post, too, I post them, and state carls stills/pics. and thats why carl adds the info to each of his pic's.. and yes! to mine, too..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Ahh OK! There are some nice pics from "Die Kanonen von Navarone" I like the movie and i like the books of Alistair MacLean, always great reading!

Regards

Ulrich

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Cheers Ray, Ulrich, Ray, thanks for the fantastic job getting these here. For zat, you get ze Iron Cross von Ray ;-))

The first batch are all from The Longest Day and are from Bills collection. I have only about 100 stills and he beats me by at least 12 to 1 in nuber of stills. Many of my newest came from he and his generosity ;-))

The other two pics are of Sir Anthony Hopkins in: A Bridge Too Far and the one neath that one is James Mason as GFM Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel in The Desert Fox-which is a companion movie of sorts with The Desert Rats-both times he played Rommel.

Thank you Ulrich and, I sure od wish I have seen all war movies. Might broaden my horizon a bit ;-)) I have not seen but 3-4 German classics and feel a NEED to see many more of them starting with both makes of: Der Teufels General-and the 08/trilogy.

More Guns of Navarone, one from In Harms Way, some great ones from Dawn PAtrol w/ Flynn, Rathbone, Crisp and Niven. I love that film. A nice one with Ronald Wilson Reagan, Flynn, Alan Hale Sr and I dont know the youger actors name in: Desperate Journey-another favorite of mine and had Raymond Massey as a :"mean" German Officer who tries to interrorgate the captured flyboys ;-)) Reagans bit with him is a classic to behold as he double-talks that officer.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ulrich, if you get a chance to go back a few pagers here? you will see around 30 or so greats hots from: Die Kanonen von Navarone ;-)) Heh heh, I had always wondered what the German title of the movie was ;-))

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

These last ones are great.

Pic 1) Is of German actor: Hans-Christian Blech as Majer Werner Pluskett in: The Longest Day or for Ulrich: Die Langstest Tag (SP?) This is after his Kubelwagon was ambushed and strafed by a Spitfire.

2) Great shot of the French about to attack through Ouisterham.

3) & 4) more Ouisterham shots-simply fantastic ;-))

5) The G.I's pouring through the breach made on Omaha Beach which was the invasion Front ;-))

BTW, Hans-Christian Blech is one of my most favorite German actors next to Oskar Werner and Wlfgang Priess and Klaus Lowitsch.

8. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Thanks Carl,

great pics! And the longest day ( Der längste Tag ) is a great movie but i dont like the coloured version, it looks not very natural to me.

Regards

Ulrich

9. OmahaBill

OmahaBill recruit

Hi guys. The Longest Day still with the soldier holding the BAR on Pont du Hoc is George Segal. He's listed in the credits as something like First Ranger up the Mountain.

Carl knows that I plan to retire soon and hope to devote time on this site, meanwhile, I'm glad that you seem to appreciate the stills I've been sending him.

Take care, Bill

10. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

hi bill, nice to see you here, good pics all, ray...:)

11. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Great pics! And all are really appreciated!

Regards

Ulrich

12. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ulrich, thank you and I know Bill thanks you as well. Alo, thanks for the correct spelling of "longest". ;-))

Ive never seen a color version of it but I hear it mentioned all the time. Id much rather it stay only in Black and White like it should be.

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Cheers Bill, and these are stunning stills to say the least. And for as many times as I have watched TLD, I never knew that George Segal was in it. Thanks for helping me learn somthing new ;-)) Oh and, looking forward to hearing more about your retirement.

Take care bill--C.

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I love: A Bridge Too Far". One of these months ill look for some stills from that movie as well-too many great actors in it to miss out on. Looking at some Dirk bogarde stills from: The Password Is Courage-but have not heard back from the seller yet.

16. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Carl,

the recoloured Version is interesting in different ways. The Allies are good made and the Germans are overcoloured. Pink faces and a not so real looking grey for the uniforms. The faces are looking like masks. The B/W version is much better.

Take care

Ulrich

PS: i had very fine holidays, thanks!

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ulrich, heh heh, your fine description of the colorization of TLD reminds me of the "old days" when Ted Turner (the guy who owns cnn, TCM, WTBS and TNT TV Stations,) came out about 25 years or so ago colorizing some classic movies like: The Adventures of Robin Hood, Objective Burma, They Died With Their Boots On, Allegheny Uprising, Fort Apache, Rio Grande and so many others, and the colorization was horrible at best and is exactly like you mentioned. Ted Turners explanation for colorizing B&W movies, was because that was supposedly a way to preserve these movies. I hated it then and still hate colorizing B&W stuff now. The colorization process did improve over the years as I saw movies like: Sands of Iwo Jima, The Flying Tigers, Operation Pacific, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, They Were Expendable, Operation Pacific, Desperate Journey, Arsenic and Old Lace, White Heat, The Roaring Twenties and such. These looked a bit better, buit not much. They did do a pretty good job with colorizing The Fighting 69th and Sergeant York, but--I still hated that they colorized them to begin with. I think the best job of colorizing they did was when they colorized Beau Geste, Charge of the Light Brigade, Gunga Din, Stagecoach, Boys Town and Mutiny on the Bounty. Just to name a few I saw. I dont know if they are still colorizing movies or not? but I certainly hope not -))

Glad your time away from the grind of daily life, was very enjoyable ;-))

Take care my friend-_Carl.

18. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

19. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Yeah, "Verdammt in alle Ewigkeit" dont know the english title ( From here to Eternity?). First class movie with great actors, Burt Lancaster as Sgt. Milton Warden, Franky Boy as Angelo Maggio and Ernest Borgnine as James „Fatso“ Judson and more others.

Regards

Ulrich

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Great shots all.

1) Fixed Bayonets w/ Richard Basehart as Obergefrieter Danno, Gene Evans as Feldwebel Rock, Richard Hylton, & Skip Homeier.

I have a few lobby cards and two stills from this movie and am looking for more.

From Here To Eternity is now also one of my alltime most favrite movies. The Cast is impeccable. Im happy to note that Ernest Borgnine is still alive and healthy.

I dont know what movie the 3rd one is-the one with Sig Ruman (more famed as Sergeant Schutlz in: Stalag 17) Ruman is the one wearing the "SS" uniform.