Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

War Movie Still Photos From All Periods

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Skipper, Mar 23, 2010.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

hi ray, thanks for keeping the flame on this thread, i should havy all my Attlaattd stills in by mid nov, and will get those to a cd to send to ou

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

your welcome..good news on cd, look forward to it, carl...

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you ray, and i should have them in sometime Nov and will send a CD to you ;-)) These are just fantastic pics-most of them anyway ;-00

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

Another movie that I like. Mrs. Miniver, 1942. About a English family during WWII.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

Lee marvin....
    [​IMG]

The Pacific...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Lee Marvin was always good to see in uniform especially since he was in the USMC in WWII ;-))

Do you think you can dig any up with him in: The Glory Brigade? This movie is an excellent Korean War movie even though the ""Chinese"" Tanks are actually Shermans dressed up in a VERY sad and unconvincing way.

7. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

Glory Brigade cast......
    Full Cast
    Victor Mature Lt. Sam Prior
    Alexander Scourby Lt. Niklas
    Lee Marvin Corporal Bowman
    Richard Egan Sgt. Johnson
    Nick Dennis Cpl. Marakis
    Roy Roberts Sgt. Chuck Anderson
    Alvy Moore Pvt. Stone
    Russ Evans Pvt. Taylor
    Henry Kulky Smitty
    Gregg Martell Pvt. Ryan
    Lamont Johnson Capt. Adams
    Carleton Young Capt. Davis
    Frank Gerstle Maj. Sauer
    Alberto Morin Sgt. Lykos
    George Saris Medic
    Stuart Nedd Lt.Jorgenson
    George Michaelides Pvt. Nemos
    John Verros Capt. Charos
    Peter Mamakos Col. Kallicles
    Archer MacDonald Sgt. Kress
    Jonathan Hale Col. Peterson
    Nico Minardos Greek Soldier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the reasons the movie caused such excitement in the area was that at the time, Victor Mature was a top box office draw (photo 46).
    [​IMG]
    46 Victor Mature
    Coincidental to the timing of when Mike sent me the above photos, Bamber Wright, son of Homer Lee Wright, also gave me a couple of photos recently having to do with the movie. Since the north end of the pontoon bridge used in the movie was on Homer’s farm, Bamber had easy access to take some photos. Here is one in which the star, Victor Mature, has his right arm around Betty Wright, sister to Bamber. I haven’t identified the other two ladies in the photo at this time (photo 47):
    [​IMG]
    47 Victor Mature - Betty Wright next to Mature on his Right
    The other photo Bamber gave me was of the pontoon bridge made for the movie. The photo was taken from the south side of the river on the Horton farm. The other end of the bridge was on the Homer Lee Wright farm (photo 48):
    [​IMG]
    48 Glory Brigade Bridge
    Jim Cardwell of Eldon told me recently that the bridge was constructed by an Army Reserve unit from Jackson, Mississippi which was on its way to Korea. Jim himself was sent the very next year in 1953 to Korea to serve our armed forces in that war.
    About three years ago I wrote an article about the filming of the Glory Brigade on the Osage River. You can read it as well as see additional photos at this previous Progress Notes.
    However, for convenience, I will copy it here:
    “A pontoon bridge across the Osage River near Tuscumbia was constructed in 1952 by Twentieth Century Fox, the Hollywood movie company, for the movie, "The Glory Brigade” released in 1953 starring Victor Mature and Lee Marvin. Interestingly to me, Victor played the role of Lieutenant Sam Pryor (some reviews of the movie spell it Prior, a common variation), who according to the movie, was of Greek descent. However, as an aside to this narrative, I have found through genealogical research of my own Pryor name that all the Pryors in this country came from France as French Huguenots, by way of England, where they lived for hundreds of years to escape the Protestant persecution then occurring in mainland Europe. Maybe the movie was implying that Lieutenant Pryor's mother was Greek.
    At any rate, "The Glory Brigade" was filmed in my hometown of Tuscumbia, Missouri as well as nearby Fort Leonard Wood near Waynesville. Originally, it was to be named "Baptism by Fire" but the name was changed before release for reasons I never knew. I was about nine years old at the time and remember how exciting the event was for everyone in our small community of about 200 people situated on the banks of the Osage River in the picturesque Missouri Ozark hills. Victor Mature was loved by everyone because he was so friendly with the local people, some of whom had cameras and who were delighted he would patiently pose and smile with his arm draped around one or another of us for one after another picture taking session between takes. In the next photo (photo 49) Victor is posing with Wanda and Mary Warren and Eula Jenkins.
    [​IMG]
    49 The Glory Brigade: Wanda, Mary Warren, Victor and Eula Jenkins
    The Ozarks were chosen as the film site we were told because the terrain resembled that of much of Korea. My uncle Fred Pryor loaned Twentieth Century a Jon boat (local style of boat which was flat bottomed and narrow, designed for the clear, fast, sometimes shallow, spring fed Ozark streams) for use in construction of a pontoon bridge across the river, which was used in an important exciting scene in the movie. Unfortunately, one day while setting up some explosives for the scene in which the bridge was to be bombed, the dynamite accidently was discharged killing one man and causing another to lose his leg. No ambulances were around in those days and the nearest hospital was in Jefferson City, thirty miles away, so the men had little chance for emergency care. All of us were greatly saddened by the event as we had become friends with all the crew. I have seen "The Glory Brigade" several times on late night TV, even recently, and am amazed at how I can be drawn into the story of events supposedly taking place in Korea even though the scenes in the background are familiar to me, easily recognized as the hills around my home. The pontoon bridge built for the movie was photographed by my father, but, unfortunately, he didn't hold the camera motionless enough and it is somewhat blurred (photo 50).
    [​IMG]
    50 Pontoon Bridge for movie Glory Brigade
    This bridge was constructed between the Homer Lee Wright farm on the north side of the river and the Horton farm on the south side. Parts of the battle action were shot opposite the Glen Warren farm on the north side. Wanda Wright, daughter of Glen Warren and one of those pictured above in the photo with Victor, remembers well the battle scenes, the most memorable aspect of which was when the wounded or killed bloody soldiers suddenly sprung up alive at the end of each battle scene. The following website is one of the many reviews of this movie you can find on the internet:

8. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

9. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thanks Ray, and it is a very rarely shown movie. Last tie i saw it was at least 15 years ago. thansk for the Mature pic from it ;-)) Also, i had not known that Richard Egan was in it? thats a definate plus. Also, I THINK Robert Strauss was in it? I think? Or maybe i was thinking of him in Attack. Attack was OK, but nothing special even though i thought that Jack palance should have won somekind of an award for his acting in it.

10. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

11. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

12. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

13. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ray, nice new additions. Im no fan of either make of TRL, I saw part of Persuit of the Graf Spee, not long ago but not all the way through. Never heard of tyhe last one.

Oh and, im still awaiting my 17 ATTLAATTD stills to come in--hopefully by the end of this month?

14. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

carl, the last pic is of james mason.
    [​IMG]

15. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

Peter Arne played the brutal German officer who slapped the priest on the cheek, tore off the novice's veil:
    [​IMG]
    and organised a firing squad for the nuns:

[​IMG]
    The firing squad, however, was composed of Italian soldiers who nobly fired into the air rather than at the nuns. Here they are on a poster showing their horror at what the dastardly Germans had done to the nuns. The image of Lilli Palmer in front of the German with the gun seems oddly suggestive.
    [​IMG]

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Nice ones Ray ;-0) also i like the fact that James Mason was in the other movie. Ive always been partial to his movies especially The Desert Fox & The Desert Rats and Cross of Iron.

17. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

desert Fox......
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    jessica tandy...

18. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

19. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Classic movies they both are. I love em both. Also, I always thought it interesting to see Richard Boone play one of Rommels aides.

Ive tried to find stills for these pics for ages but you never or almost never see any available.

20. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

Aveleyman -

The desert fox, movie pics, and info, carl..

[​IMG]