Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Wartime Baseball Series September 1944 Hawaii

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by sgrifff, Aug 21, 2016.

1. sgrifff

sgrifff New Member

I am a high school baseball coach in Texas near the end of my career. My parents are in their 80's and my dad drove my mother this week to north Texas to visit her brother who is in his mid 80's. He asked her to take home to me a baseball and a program to sell from a baseball game played September 28th, 1944 in Hawaii at Furlong Stadium between the Army and the Navy teams. My grandfather was at this game and left these items behind when he passed. My uncle, who is low on retirement funds, thought it might be worth something to someone out there. So tossing a line out to you guys to see if there is any interest in these items. The game included Joe DiMaggio and many players we have all heard of. My grandfather was in the navy, so Joe (who was in the Army) did not sign the ball, but the Navy guys did. Some of the names include Pee Wee Reese, Phil Rizzuto, Hugh Casey, Johnny Vander Meer, Jack Hallett, Bill Dickey, Schoolboy Rowe, Dom DiMaggio, Walt Masterson and several others. I also have the program that lists both teams players. My grandfather wrote on the program, "A ballgame I will never forget"

If interested in these items, or just want to talk about these items, shoot me a message.

my name is steve

sgrifff@gmail.com

2. Dave55

Dave55 Member

I'd be very interested in seeing any of the material you have. My great uncle was at at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7 at Schofield Barracks.
    He was a very good player in high school and had some scouts at his games. He told me about playing an Army exhibition game against a team with Rizzuto on it while in, I think, Hawaii.

He was a member of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association and was planning on attending the 50th reunion in Hawaii but didn't make it because my aunt was very ill at the time.