Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Wartime US Paratrooper movie

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Platinfuchs, Sep 20, 2000.

1. Platinfuchs

Platinfuchs recruit

Hi there !
    Years ago a wartime US movie was shown on
    German TV. Since then I am looking for the
    title and additional information. It was in B&W and I only remember the story, no stars, names or the title. Maybe someone can help.

It was the story of a company of the 82nd ? and started in North Africa, went on to the Landing on Sicily and further to Anzio or a battle on the Italian mainland.
    If I remember correctly, it was filmed prior to the Normandy Landing. At was basically a story of battle fear, courage and comradeship.
    It ended with one paratrooper stepping on a mine in Italy doing something brave.

It was, as far as I remember, a VERY GOOD movie. There also was a colose encounter with Germans in / around a farmhouse in Italy featuring a BMW sidecar MC and a Kuebelwagen.

Has someone a clue what film I am going on about ????

Thanks for any information.

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Almost sounds like: "Go For Broke" with Van Johnson. I know it isnt since that was about the 442 RCT with the Niesei.

3. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

No it wasn't "Go For Broke" That was about the 442nd all Japanese infantry unit in Europe. no paratroopers. I have seen the film you are talking about but I can't exactly remember either. Anyone else have any ideas?

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I think maybe you are talking about the movie: A Walk In The Sun. It has a few decent actors in it like: Lloyd Bridges, I cant remember the rest as its been years since I last saw it.

5. Platinfuchs

Platinfuchs recruit

Thanks for your replies !

I think the name was pretty basic, something
    like 'The Paratroopers' or so.

I am pretty sure that it is about guxs from
    the 82nd AB...as it starts in North Africa,
    continues in Sicily and ends on the Italian
    mainland...although I am not sure about the
    last location, it is the route the 82nd took.

It was definately wartime, filmed in 1944/45.

Could you provide more details on 'A walk in the sun' ?

Thank you.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Its been a few years since I last watched it, I cant remember if I liked it enough to keep on tape.

All I remember, is that a platoon of soldiers is sent into combat. You get to "know" the different characters. I remember there was one G.I. that kept making stupid comments about things, and and referring them somehow with Tibet.

There were a few action type scenes. One I remember is they were on a road, and were "attacked" by German armored cars or tanks, someone gets killed or wounded, and the rest move on. There were also scenes where the platoon gets strafed by German fighters that you never see.

The ending scenes of the movis, show the G.I.s attacking a German held farmhouse. Many of the G.I's quickly became casualties.

All-in-all, I didnt care much for the movie, even though it had several faces in it I recognized like Lloyd Bridges, Richard Conte, and others I cannot recall.

7. Yankee

Yankee Member

sounds like walk in sun.

8. Platinfuchs

Platinfuchs recruit

No, I do not think it is A WALK IN THE SUN...

It is definitely about airborne troops. In A WALK IN THE SUN, the guys land from the sea on the Salerno beachhead. I remember for sure that they jumped out of an aircraft...and I was so much interested in the movie, because of the original uniforms and equipment in the film...those nice M-1942 jump suits !

Also, it was a fairly short movie, if I remember correctly, maybe 45 to 60 mins only.

9. Platinfuchs

Platinfuchs recruit

...I finally found it ! It is not war time, it is of 1959 vintage...just shows you how my memory tricks me sometimes !

For all who are interested:

PARATROOP COMMAND (director: William Witney; screenwriter: Stanley Shpetner;
    cinematographer: Gilbert Warrenton; editor: Robert S. Eisen; cast: Richard
    Bakalyan (Charlie), Jim Beck (Cowboy), Jack Hogan (Ace), Ken Lynch
    (Lieutenant), Jimmy Murphy (Sergeant), Jeff Morris (Pigpen); Runtime: 71;
    1959)

Unfortunately not available on video / DVD...

Thanks all for your help !

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

AH Yes!, I know the movie. I saw it on AMC, about 6 months ago. It wasnt a half bad movie. I haver a copy on tape, but no way to copy it. If I can find a way to copy it, I will gladly send you a copy.