Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Was hoping to potentially find audio / video recordings of my grandfather

Discussion in 'Those Who Served' started by SearchingOldSoul, Feb 29, 2024.

1. SearchingOldSoul

SearchingOldSoul New Member

My goal is to find any possible audio or video recordings of my grandfather during the WWII.

My grandfather served during and in WWII in three theaters and in three areas that I have to think got coverage:

From July 1939 through July 1943, he was in the CAA at Fort Kobbe, in the Panama Canal Zone, in the QM service. By July 1943, he was a Sergeant.

From July 1943 - February 1944, he was stationed working for the Quartermaster Service at the Presidio of San Francisco.

In February 1944, briefly, he was stationed at Camp Kilmer.

He arrived overseas on March 5th, 1944, and per his DD-214 he participated in the Rhineland and Northern France Campaigns; He was in the Battle of the Bulge and was shot by a sniper on January 23rd, 1945, in Luxembourg. He was a member of the 11th Infantry, Co. F, at the time of his shooting, they were from what I understand trying to liberate a town called Hoshied at that time.

After a time at field hospitals, he was shipped to Halloran Hospital in Staten Island, where he remained in and out of until his forced separation from the Army in March 1946.

There are also photos of him with celebrities which are dated to 1942, presumably at the Hollywood Canteen, pictured with him are Jinx Falkenburg and others.

World War II was a highly captured war in terms of film; he was in three places which also happened to be captured on film.

I have never seen a high quality video recording of my grandfather, nor ever heard his voice. I would dearly like to, and in my heart I think such exists somewhere.

The issue is where, and how to find it. Which is why I've come here for your help.

2. SearchingOldSoul

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A portrait taken in Halloran Hospital

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Slipdigit likes this.
  3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Start with the National Archives in DC. You might also look at the Army historical site, U.S. Army Center of Military History and your state historical society. (or the state he lived in during the war. (Lived in as "that's where I'm from.")

4. SearchingOldSoul

What would I look under in the Archives?

Also, if it helps, he was also with RS-321-AAA while stationed at Camp Kilmer in February 1944.

His DD-214 lists his branch of service as being 11th Infantry, however.

Not sure when he got switched from AAA to infantry.

5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You give them the info you have and they tell you what they can find. Sweat equity varies.