Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Was it necessary to use the A-bomb on Japan?

Discussion in 'Atomic Bombs In the Pacific' started by worldwar2isawesome, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldwar2isawesome

worldwar2isawesome Member

Hey guys, I'm doing a project on whether if it was necessary to drop the A-bomb on Japan. I just wanna ask your guys opinions on this issue. Do you guys believe it was justified? I wrote a lot of reasons both for and against the A-bomb's use here on my website. I also put up a poll here. Personally, I'm kind of split on this so I'm asking your opinions. Thanks!

2. 1986CamaroZ28

1986CamaroZ28 Member

Use the search button next time, dozens of threads about this topic.

Since there were no civilians on Japan because everyone on that island would have attacked any invading forces, there is no moral factor, it's a war. And why must everyone focus on this topic, what's the difference of being blown to bits instantly or frying from radiation compared to being engulfed by napalm, being beaten/hacked to death, drowned, suffocating under collapsed buildings, getting running over by tanks etc. etc. Why is the focus on some 100,000+ japanese "civilians" and not on the rest of 72+ million.

3. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

you would do well to use our search function and include "atomic bombs", "Japan", and other terms like justified, necessary, ect.

There are literally hundreds of posts on this subject, from "it was a war crime", to "it was necessary and unavoidable". Good luck on your project BTW.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

OK, so you guys type faster than I do.:D

6. lwd

lwd Ace

I also note that the title asks "Was it neccessary" while you ask "was it justified" in the body of the first post. These really are two different questions.

7. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Well spotted lwd...

Just a quick 3 lines on your website....In fact I dont think I'll even comment on them. Most here will understand why I selected them.

Quote:

The inhumanity of the bombs and slaughter of thousands of innocent civilians is one of the key arguments against the use of the A-bomb

However, did the A-bomb in fact saved millions of American and Japanese lives by shortening and preventing an American attack on Japan, which would've killed up to one million Americans and several million Japanese.

n the end, World War II did end the way America wanted. We never had to invade Japan and the Japanese surrendered to us on September 2, 1945,

end quotes.

God Bless America. Sorry I did comment....

8. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

I to looked through your essay and have a few things to comment on. First, the only source I see cited is Wikipedia. Not a bad starting point, but don’t trust everything. Try a couple scholarly works such as Downfall by Richard Frank. Secondly, your essay doesn’t seem to have anything to do with were they necessary, but more about highlighting the points of contention on both sides of the debate. As for the other items I noticed, run the search suggested above as those are all discussed in depth in those threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.