Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Washington-Britain's greatest foe

Discussion in 'Military History' started by GRW, Apr 14, 2012.

1. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

2. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

It's not like Americans were unwilling to pay taxes at all. I would point out that while some taxes were repealed others were not and we happily paid them. However the issues were more complex than that. Taxing Americans for things like suger and molasses and then demanding that they be given free of charge to the military will wreck any economy. We simply wanted to help in choosing what to tax. Giving the colonies a century of mostly self governance, and then taking that right away was certainly not a very good idea.

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Mike...you do realise we're ribbing...or roasting as you colonials like to call it? I should think if you were to inform a group of British school children or even their younger parents that Britain at one time had control of the USA they would one..not have a clue of it...and two...not be interested. Its only us old uns here and you Yanks that are aware of the fact. Boston Tea party probably means nothing to most UK folk...Its more likely to register as a meeting of your current political folk...

4. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Of course urqh. I don't think I've known you to be entirly serious about any issue, ever. One of the probmlems with the internet is the fact that you can never tell if a poster is smiling or scoweling as they type a response. The American War of Indepedance is shrowded false information and half-truths, it is one of very few topics that despite some good natured razzing, I tend to be very serious about. After all, initially we began fighting your King so that we could remain Englishmen with the rights of Englishmen. It is you kind folks across the pond who lost your way. :D

As Ken mentioned earlier, it always seems to be the Brits who are the Brits worst enemy.

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

urgh not serious? Shirley you jest.

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

No, urqh is never serious. And stop calling him Shirley.

7. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Lamb Chop ?

[​IMG]

I'm sorry, once again turned left when should have parked. Washington! George Washington!

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Urqh is never serious? And here I took his every word as gospel. :rolleyes: And when did he change his name to Shirley?

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Urqh is a philosophizer, so folks like that can hardly be taken serious. Biak starting calling him Shirley, so maybe there's more to the story than we know.

I'm writing in Andy Jackson for my choice. He whupped 'em good down in New Orleans! It was after the whistle, but war is war, so cheap shots and late shots are fair game.

10. urqh

Am I being Yanked?.....Madness of King George...channel 4 tonight UK time...Now there was a great man.....Great movie too...I think its our George though not yours...

11. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

The Fifth English Civil War.
    1775-1783.

Well done to the British for winning that one.
    And commiserations to the British for losing it.

:shifty:
    ~A

12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Y'all had FIVE civil wars? Man it must be tough to get a degree in history over there. Can't y'all just get along?

13. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

We thought we'd had our last in 1688, all settled, but then some militants had to go and kick off in the colonies. I blame the French (if in doubt we have traditionally blamed the French, and them us - we're much more experienced at it than this recent American fad.).

Actually, thinking about it, it may have been the sixth, if the Monmouth Rising counts, and naturally there was the War of the Roses before the standard 'First' Civil war of the 1640s, so maybe it's more like Seventh... or eighth... and then there were assorted Baron's/Peasants revolts before that... etc. etc.

I sometimes think we might just have liked fighting.
    Given that, it's maybe understandable that in lean times of other states to fight against we've traditionally beaten the crap out of ourselves.

~A

14. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Not forgetting the Anarchy of King Stephen, the Scottish infighting of the early wars of independence, the Jacobite rebellions etc etc. Hell, we invented civil wars!:p

15. urqh

But always managed to remain civil...whato.....

16. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Geez, a professor of British history's brain must hurt from time to time with that study load eh? Our little 250 years or so of history must amount to a pop quiz over there!

17. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Well, sometimes considered acceptable for a Pub Quiz Tie-Breaker, but no, not what we'd call Real History. :pipesmoke:

:hypnotize:

18. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

That reminded me of a quote from the Smithsonian magazine a number of years back, that was focused on turtles and their kin. Those beasties look at the age of dinosaurs as a passing fad.

19. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Yeah yeah yeah. Well, if y'all would have just played the cards right, who knows.

20. urqh

What....? You'd have a proper world series? With other world countries?