Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Watch project from Junkers JU88 A-4 aluminium

Discussion in 'WWII Activities and Hobbies' started by Wiljo, Oct 19, 2022.

1. Wiljo

Wiljo New Member

Good evening everybody!

I could write all day but I’ll try to keep this short.

In may 2021 me and my friend went to search a plane which was rumoured to be in a northern part of Lapland, Finland. It was crash landed after getting a hit during a fight in air. We were quite lucky and found the plane with a help of maps and some norwegian friends. Trip to the plane was already an adventure what I will not forget anytime soon.

Most of the plane was already gone and under ground, but some bigger parts, bullets, porsline, glass, rotors, engine parts etc. was still there. You could see which way the plane was laying there. I found small pieces of this aluminium which was used in the plane chassis. To me it looked interesting because some parts were grey and some mildly green.

Plane is Junkers JU88 A-4.

Winter 2021/22 I got this idea of my own watch model which would combinate history and watch enthusiasim. As you can already guess I used the aluminium from the plane to make special dials for my watch.

Project has been unbeliavable pain in the backside and really soon I figured out this kind of handcraft makers are really rare. I contacted over hundred different kind of metal experts and nothing. Suddenly I got a hint that there was one small jewelryshop which makes it own jewelry. I contacted the owner and we rolled our sleeves and got to work.

Took me over a year but here is my first watch. It is designed in Finland, dial is
    100% handmade in Finland and it is build in Finland. It is automatic and uses Seiko machine.

Project name is Memento A-4

What do you think?
    Screenshot_20221019-231506.jpg Screenshot_20221019-231529.jpg Screenshot_20221017-163628.jpg Screenshot_20221018-001337.jpg