Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Weapons named after people

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Poppy, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Big Bertha
    Bowie knife
    Colt
    Derringer
    Garand
    Gatling
    Mauser
    Maxim
    Thompson
    Winchester
    Smith and Wesson
    Any others?

2. von Poop

von Poop Waspish WW2|ORG Editor

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Right. Good point. Individual....Also had never seen the Lanchester, thanks for that.

4. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

Well, there's the biggie....

...the CHURCHILL tank :)

von Poop likes this.
  5. 693FA

693FA Member

6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Maybe we should limit to un motorized individual weapons named after actual people. ... Pretty big can of worms now I think about it.

7. 693FA

693FA Member

you did open it...:rolleyes::D

8. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

There was the Lewis gun, the Browning Automatic Rifle (named for the company that developed it, which in turn was named after the founder...so...by default...), the Sten gun (IIRC, the Sten was named by combining the names of the two men who came up with it).

9. 693FA

693FA Member

10. f6fhellcat

f6fhellcat Member

Who can forget about the famous Gatling Gun?

11. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

I think we should rule out those named after the manufacturer or designer, otherwise the list gets too long, so I give you the Schmeisser aka MP40 as Herr Hugo Schmeisser had nothing to do with it's design. IIRC the EN in STEN is for Enfield, linke the one in BREN (Brno + Enfield) so it's a location, thought the ST could be Stirling (have to look it up).
    And if we accept the Churchill we should include the KV and JS tanks, naming a military project after a political bigwhig is good insurance against having it killed. And of course most US tanks are nicknamed after US generals.

12. phylo_roadking

phylo_roadking Member

Yep - dead ones!

13. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Boys Anti-Tank Rifle.
    Luger.

14. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

You are close, the STEN name came out of names of the designers (R. V. Shepard and H. J. Turpin) and from the factory where they worked (Enfield arsenal). And if I'm not mistaken the magazine used in the MP was designed by Herr Schmeisser, and that name was stamped on the early magazines leading to the "mis-naming" in allied lingo.

15. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

Funny how German manufacturers failed to name a single weapon or weapon's system after Adolf Hitler, yet Bertha Krupp has TWO artillery pieces named after her. The first was for the Krupp built 420mm Siege piece. The second was bestowed by Parisians, suffering under a 75 mile long artillery barrage from the longest barrelled weapons ever manufactured. I forget the calibre, but the Paris Guns had ammunition that was numbered, due to excessive friction causing barrel wear, so each shell had to be slightly larger than the next in line.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this unique? To have both sides of a conflict bestow the same name on two different weapons systems, both with the same thing in mind, a large, loud woman whose bark was nearly as intimidating as her bite?

Also, lets see if we can tag the most ridiculous or inappropriate name ever attached to a weapon. My vote would go to an SOE issue pistol called "The Little Alright", a sleeved, wrist activated weapon for clandestine use.

16. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

The Brown Bess....Prove me wrong....Did I say that out loud...?

17. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

The Krupp "biggies" were usually called after family members, IIRC the WW1 420 was the Grosse Berta.
    The "Paris Gun" was 210mm (new barrel) that increased to 240mm after 50 rounds and 260mm after 100, after 150 rounds the inner barrel became unusable !!!
    Considering the 210 bore it was an incredible 170 calibers long, IIRC the Germans had nicknamed it Kaiser Whilhelm.
    During WW2 a rather similar 210/196 was in serrvice called Lange Gustav. They also had a280/76 Schlanke Berta, a Theodor Bruno (240/35), Kurtz Bruno (280/40) a Lange Bruno 280/42 and Schewere Bruno (280/42), the final ones (280/56)was the Neue Bruno, I think the "Anzio BelIe" was a Neue. The 380mm were Sigfried. Wonder who Dora was , she doesn't appear in the family tree in the Manchester book on the Krupps.

18. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

IIRC, Dora was the name of the engineer's daughter who designed the barrel or something like that. I know she was the daughter of a main engineer, just don't recall engineer of what exactly.

19. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

guns : Berthier Lebel, Chauchat,

Planes : Junkers, Dornier, Messerschmitt, Saulnier Morane, Brequet, Dewoitine,

Tanks : Renault , Sherman, Mathilda

von Poop likes this.
  20. RabidAlien

RabidAlien Ace

Heh...planes....don't forget the WW1 Fokker series....named for every little fokker who flew one.