Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

website for the 21st inf div 24th regt., and battle pix

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by aquist, Apr 12, 2006.

1. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    answer

it's a gas mask tin.

2. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    well built gentelemen

the one on the right is me, kriegspfarrer. the one on the left with the mp 40 is will, my second in command, and CO of the 9th Arkansas, im 66 hes 20

3. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    cylindrical drums

that is a gas mask cannister, and mine has a soldiers name and unit inside where the spare lenses or fllters are kept Wachmeister C J Cox schwere Flak Abteilung , Wolfenbeutel

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Why did it have to be an 88? Cox isn't the most German sounding name.

5. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I believe it contains a gas mask.

6. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Why so sceptical, Simon? There are definitely Germans called Cox.

7. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'm not being particularly sceptical, I've just said that Cox isn't the most German sounding name and it isn't.

I've also questioned why Cox must have been involved with an 8.8cm gun unit. There were plenty of other AAA types in the German inventory and Cox could have been involved with any number of them, just because the 88 is the most famous doesn't necessarily follow that he must have been involved in one.

From the information Kreigspfarrer there is nothing particularly to support the view that Cox was ever involved with the famed 8.8cm guns.

8. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    why?

Well it sounds better doesn't it, the dreaded 88! It's the same reason that people re-enact as Commandos, Para's,Green Beret's, and other elite formations, you don't see many Catering Corps, Pioneers and 'Base Wallers', it's all to do with the image!

9. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    88 is logical

the unit name Schwereflakbattalion (heavy anti aircraft battalion) would indicate that the Flugzeukabwehrkanonne (anti aircraft gun)that they served were "Heavy"" enough to reach the high Flying Flying fortresses and B24 Liberators. I could be wrong, but he may have served an 88 if he did indeed exist.

10. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Flugabwehr

KP, for someone who has studied German for 40+ years your lack of capital letters is a little disconcerting, 'aber, das macht nichts.'
    (translation, 'but, that doesn't matter'.) I'm afraid my German is 1945 issue AF999 (B.A.O.R. Schwarzmark edition.)

11. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    In addition to the 88 and 120 there were also at least 105mm and 150mm pieces of German manufacture. It is leaping to conclusions somewhat to say that he "had to have been" involved with 88s, "probably" is a fairer comment but that certainly doesn't equate to "had to have been".

12. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Don't you mean 128mm?

13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Possibly, I'm not really that knowledgable on German heavy cannon. Nevertheless there was still more available in the "Heavy FLAK" category that the 88, so even accepting that these markings are genuine (And there is a chance they aren't), you simply cannot say that he had to have served with an 88 unit.

14. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    name in cannister

ok im not a collector or an expert on German Print style but the ones I have seen that ARE genuine ww2 labels look like this one, but if I were going to make a fake one I would not have chosen a NON German sounding name or an obscure city. the controversy over to 88 or not 88 is totally irrelevent as the post was simply to identify the oscar the grouch garbage can . and i just threw in the bit about the label because it seemed interesting. .

15. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Capital lEttErS

im a retired English teacher and i do try to follow the rules about CapitaliZation and punctuation,but,i, am retired:::so sometimes -i dont care?

16. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    German Nouns and Capitalization

Thank you for pointing out my grammatical shortcomings, but since I am self taught it was a while before I noticed that all the nouns were capitalized and finally did find that rule in a high school German textbook.Its still one of the hardest ones for poor little me to remember. Aber das ist egal.but thats all equal, (doesnt matter) im still not finished with German yet

17. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hoch Deutsch.

Ah,KP, that's all well and good BUT you were the one who started writing in German and leaving us poor souls to sort it out, I mean to say if we are going to do it let's do it about right!
    Following your last post we had an egal in our garden last night!......
    or was it an Igel?

18. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It's "Igel" (hedgehog). "Egel" is Dutch. "Aber das ist egal" means "but it doesn't matter".

19. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    translation

Thank you Roel, you are winding me up, yes?
    Of course it could have been a 'kleine Stachelschwein' come out from his/her winter hibernation, if you get the point.

20. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Kreigspfarrer, it is not a case of picking up on every gramatical shortcomming but there is a clear difference that should be apparent to a native English speaker between making the statement that someone "Had to have been involved" with a certain piece of equipment, which became "Probably" to someone who in your editted reply now "May have been involved". There is a huge difference here.

I was not questioning your grammar, more why that individual had to have been involved in arguably to most infamous German cannon of WWII.

Probably more 88s were made than similar heavy AA pieces, but on the other hand more were probably given to AT units (Either tanks, TDs, or limbered pieces) than other heavy AA pieces, I really couldn't say, but you are the one who originally made the statement that he "Had to have been involved with an 8.8 cm Flak gun".

To touch on your other comment, if I was producing a false label for such an item of equipment I wouldn't label it with a non-Germanic sounding name either. On the other hand if I were an individual in a re-enactment group in the 60s or 70s (For example) named "Cox" I may well label my equipment in an authentic manner but one that still allowed it to identified as belonging to me.

If I sound sceptical it's because when it comes to the provenance of such items it is always wise to be. An item related to the famed/feared/infamous weapon or item will fetch a higher value than a more obscure weapon or item. For a serious or semi-serious collector there is naturally a greater fascination with items of greater fame/infamy than more common items and an individual claimng such statements linking items of equipment shouldn't be surprised when they are asked to back up such claims.