Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

website for the 21st inf div 24th regt., and battle pix

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by aquist, Apr 12, 2006.

1. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Deutsch speak!

No Simon, it was not you questioning the grammar, it was I!! I was following up the statement that KP made that he'd been studying German for 40+ years and he kept shoving it at us, with no translation. I go along with you regarding the label, as I wrote earlier it's the image!

2. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    provenance

i went back and edited my cock sureness but it is what i felt at the time and im not selling my gas mask cannister i plan to use until I shuffle off this mortal coil. this tid bit was simply a factoid that i thot someone might enjoy,ie that i had a gas mask with a name unit and geographical location inside it. wether its genuine really doesnt matter to me as i just want the outside to look authentic. I also have a knife fork spoon and can opener set that has the date 1941 and a hoheitsabzeichen or national insignia on it (eagle over a swastika) but the value of it as a collector piece or provenance doesnt enter my head when i use it to eat with at a battle. any more than my nazi proofed 1944 dated K98 is any more than a rifle to use in reenactment battles. this stuff just amazes me. next time i say anything i will do research on herr Cox the unit and the town of Wolfenbeutel and one more thing the Bible says rebuke not an elder but entreat him as a father. so im a a world war two item myself and sensitive about my own authenticity dob 2 7 1940

3. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    provenance

Gentlemen your points are well taken and i will ammend my ways. no assumptions or untranslated pig latin

4. Notmi

Notmi New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Message from moderator:

This section has been quite civilized without offensive messages etc. And I really like it that way. So please, dont start any kind of flame war, especially US vs Europe, those are boring and serve no purpose.

Thank you.

5. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    re-enactment

Quite correct Notmi, although I personally have not seen any offensive messages, but I do have a serious question for KP, is it usual for a Padre or (Militärgeistliche/r)(is that the correct word?) in a German unit to carry a K98?
    Also, as a devout christian I would never think of rebuking an elder, as a matter of fact in this case I was trying to help a younger son .

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Kreigspfarrer, a quick check on an online dictionary provides the following definition for rebuke: To criticize or reprove sharply.

Whilst I may have been questioning your post it was neither sharp criticism or reproval. Furthermore, as far as I am concerned no-one on here is or should be considered immune from disagreement just because of their age.

If I see something someone has put that I believe to be false or unsupportable I will bring them up on it whether they are thirteen, thirty or one hundred and thirty, it makes no odds to me, however when I have done so I have always tried to do so politely and respectfully regardless of their age all the while they accord me the same courtesy.

I am glad you enjoy using these items, however do not take offense simply because I disagreed with your sweeping statement regarding its origins. The information was interesting, your interpretation of that information was I believe flawed and I explained politely why I thought so. This is a discussion group, this is going to happen.

I hope I never see the day I am told I cannot disagree with you simply because you are older than me.

7. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    discussions

`
    .*you are right

8. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    Chaplain in the wehrmacht

normally on the eastern front chaplains carried a side arm, but they dont always let me be the chaplain. not only that do they not always let me command the unit or even be a German, If there are too many jerrys, as in my last battle, for instance I was a red army private and carried a 91/30 with which my only two kills during the battle were to take out the MG42 and the MP 44 with my bolt action rifle. sometimes I sneak into battles as a Schütze (private) and carry my K98. If that is behavior unbefiting an officer I apologize. but like most reenactors i enjoy trigger time. my old CO did object to the padre doing that but i at least took my hit early and far from the crowd so that they might not recognize the chaplain

9. Gunter_Viezenz

Gunter_Viezenz New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Krieg have you ever lost your weapon during a re-enactment or having your weapon borrwerd after you have been killed?

10. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    army stuff

answer: about losing weapons no, but i have let a fellow German use my P 38 blank firing Pistol when his early war K98 jammed. we usually regard a weapon as too valuable and personal to be carried off by person or persons unknown.

11. Gunter_Viezenz

Gunter_Viezenz New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes but this is a re=enactment section.

12. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    schutz

Always willing to learn, 'schutz' is a new word to me in German Army terms, I know it as 'Schutz' as in protection or shelter, also as 'Schütze' as in gunman/rifleman, is it German Army slang for a Private?

13. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    schutz

thats what i was told. when i first became a German reenactor.they said I was a schutz or a private. if thats incorrect ive been running around repeating that error

14. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The word you need is "Schütze", private. In phonetic English it would be something like "shootzuh".

15. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Schultz

I wondered if that was where the title of the TV film starring Michael Elphick came from, named I believe, "What Next Private Schultz",
    (Michael on left of pic.)

16. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    private

i have no umlaut. the guy who told me that was the word for private mispronounced it (John Culifer) who basically started me on the road to being a German reenactor so basically my problem is a missing e and an umlaut, not to bad for an amateur in the middle of Mo. Ark, USA

17. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    umlaut

Hello KP, a present for you, how to type 'umlaut's'!
    Hold down 'Alt' key on left of space bar, then use numbers on far right of keyboard.
    ä=Alt 132
    Ä=Alt 142
    ö=Alt 148
    Ö=Alt 153
    ü=Alt 129
    Ü=Alt 154
    If you want Danish....... Ø=Alt 0216
    ø= Alt 0248
    You must use the numbers on FAR RIGHT of keyboard for this system.
    Not bad for an 'Old-Un' eh?

18. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    It is much easier, however, to do as the Germans do: when lacking an umlaut on a keyboard they simply add an "e" to the vowel that is supposed to have the umlaut. For example, "Schütze" may also be written as "Schuetze".

19. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    umlaut

It doesn't look so good though, does it Roel?

20. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think it doesn't, but you have to agree that it's easier than memorizing Alt+XXX.