Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Wehrmacht Medic

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by merpho, May 24, 2010.

1. merpho

merpho Member

I am working on a novel where one of the characters is a part-Jewish Austrian who volunteers for the Wehrmacht and is trained as a medic. Questions:

Were medics attached to Wehrmacht units in the same manner as US Army units, ie, serving as members of combat units or were they a separate medical corps operating away from the front?

Were they also unarmed? If not, what weapons were they assigned?

Were their letters back home censored? By whom? To what extent?

I would like to attach him to a unit that served in Poland in 1939, then France in 1940-1, then in the East towards the end of the war. Suggestions?

How would a letter from home be addressed to him?

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

3. merpho

merpho Member

Thanks for the leads. I needed more specifics, however, than these sources provided. Therefore, I need more help. Google has not been very helpful, either.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

If written under a Feldpost number, letters were usually not censored, but soldiers knew what to write becasue if anything was ever discovered, they knew the risks .... and writing forbidden things was a risky business.

5. Chef des Todes

Chef des Todes Flight Medic

I've got a medical armband that is quite rare from the first C camp in poland, if you have webcam ill show you.I have recently bought 7 Feldpost. 1 from Africa, 1 from moscow, and the rest from France. 3 of which im certain are medical. Also the one from moscow explains going through poland, when I get them I will help you everyway possible! Im currently writting my own novel about a medic, if youd like I can help you, i may spell bad on here but im extremely good at writeing, no worries I wont steal your idea ;). Best wishes, and best of luck =)

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Sounds like some nice stuff you bought. To go with your interest in German Medics, in a thread started by Skipper for me in the Militaria section on this site under Carls latest photos, Skipper posted two I managed to get recently that pu might like to see. Also, I have two more that shows German Medics newly awarded the War Merit Cross w/ Swords 2nd class. Those are in the same thread.

7. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I posted a picture of the German medic satchel in the militaria section. I also have the Verbandkasten box and several bandages. They also had small oxygen bottles they carried around in a small wooden box and they had a large red cross flag in case they had to set up a first aid point.