Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Werwolf medal?

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Erulian, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Erulian

Erulian New Member

I found this site in an attempt to research an interesting medal I've acquired. I read a post in which someone else was inquiring about a possible Werwolf medal. I purchased a medal from a man in Polland who described it as a medal w scull. It appears to be pot metal, it's round w the usual oak leaf ring as a border, it has a large ring where a ribon should be, it bears a skull & cross bones over a lined W, it has no maker marks etc. on it's reverse however. I know that this is the insignia used to designate Werwolf but I'm not too sure that it's not a post war reproduction. It looks old enough? I don't know, I collect but have never seen or heard of anything like this. I like it regardless of it's origins but I'd appreciate any in site.

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

A image uploaded would help us get you info and welcome to the forum.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

It sounds like some kind of fantasy to me. I doubt the allies would allow such a thing in 1945. It would be like recognizing Nazi terrorism.

4. Erulian

Erulian New Member

I don't know how to upload the picture.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

Not 1945, 1920's thru 1933.

The full name of the organization was "Wehrwolf, Bund deutscher Manner und Frontkrieger", IIRC, it was a veteran's group, that also had branches for civilians, ie. women and children.

George Patton likes this.
  6. Erulian

Erulian New Member

Ok, I went to the full site version that had a photo upload option but now it's saying that the file is too big, I'm going to try to compress it or decrease resolution...

7. Erulian

Erulian New Member

Finally got it.

Attached Files:

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

9. Erulian

Erulian New Member

While I do not dispute it being fake, I do not believe it was made FROM a belt buckle just by the look of it, maybe the same mold though. I only paid I think $12 for it anyway, I might have it plated in silver & wear it as a medallion.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Yes, the same mold and a ring added for a possible ribbon.

11. Erulian

Erulian New Member

Thank you. I have a lot of other items that I find to be questionable as well that I will probably post later. I have an iron cross first class without maker marks which I find highly suspicious given that most of my genuine medals have quite a bit of markings. I have two honor rings that I acquired for substantially less than a good repro would go for. They have different names & dates??? They are silver...