Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What are some things happening for you?

Discussion in 'Hearts of Iron' started by Totenkopf, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Im just curious about what events that you would call important have been happening in your games lately?

Ill start: After leading a successful conquest of China the Japanese AI chose war with USSR in that event in 1938. Initially the Soviets led a rapid attack into inner Mongolia with massive armor support and into Northern Manchuria but the Japanese held them off and then started attacks of their own. Manchuria is being recaptured, Inner Mongolia is still somewhat red, and the Japanese now hold The Entire Soviet east coast from the Kamchatka Peninsula to Vladivostok city, The Japanese fruits of war are plentiful with a large unit stack likely to push west as Manchuria is freed and more fruits are to come as a 70ic Chinese puppet is rapidly arming itself. There is a very positive note for the Germans as there is only a one unit stack across East Poland which will allow the Germans rapid expansion across the western USSR in mere months. It is 1940 now and 1941 will be a weird year for the World as the Superstate will shrink very fast.

And here is a strage event to happen: Swiss tanks will ride in Moscow!

2. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Europe fell Historically, but Russia seems to be wanting to avoid war with me (Germany) as long as possible, Oh an event that popped up twice in the year 1940 was the women's rights and working one, ok, but in Germany? lol,

The Graf Spee has been sunk twice? lol, I guess they couldn't think of another name.
    My IC's are already 525 but am almost out of manpower with me struggling to old 400.

I actually started a game as the USA in the DOOMSDAY campagin, and I set the options in the beginning to allow me to declare war, well I attacked Mexico. (oh my tactic was to declare war on everyone and see what would happen.) I nearly lost in mexico even with my command over the air and the sea, but I managed to win.

Because I was playing the US I had a 200IC peace time penatily so to remove it I declared war on a country in the middle of no where, but due to my declaration of war on mexico my belliegernece had jumped to aroun 40, so there were partisans showing up everywhere in the American states, so it was a short game, and a horrible failure. lol

3. Miguel B.

Miguel B. Member

if you think you're strugling for manpower tomcat, try the total realism project mod for size ;)

You only get enough manpower via events. It's awsome... much more realistic :)

Cheers...

4. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Lol, 3 months into Barbarossa and we are at Moscow and the Reds are desperately shipping reinforcements from the east to the west.

5. Tomcat

Germany is probably the only country that has the ability to wage war on the entire world one at a time without having to worry about the government problems, but has the manpower issu, so once before I just cheated and gave my self 10000 manpower,:D

6. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Lol, Bitter peace in November 1942!

7. Tomcat

Dont' do that go, for the Annex.

8. Tomcat

I started a new game, with me as the soviets and it is the beginning of 1940 and I have annexed Finland, Germany is preparing for the low countries and France since Poland has fallen, and for some reason Britain delcared war on me when I helped Germany with Poland, so I invaded Denmark to give me a jumping of point for the UK.

The strange thing was Germany's relation with me is -60 yet when Denmark surrendered they got Copenhagen and I got the rest, ok then?

I can just see it now Russia and Germany ruling the world. ahahahahahah.

9. tikilal

tikilal Ace

Because of all the talk in hear I started a game last Thursday. I am Germany in the 1936 campaign. I risked the bank and went fro three whole rounds of IC production. I will have to look up the numbers of where I am at. I planned on taking the Danzig or War event and fighting that war with what ever I had. I then opted out of the Molitov pact which hurt my dissent. Dissent is horrible it hurst the fighting ability of the men and idustrial capacity.

I then took the winter to build the army I needed to fight France and had them beat in one month. I did not invade Holland only Belgium. I am wondering though if in my next game I will go through the maginot line.

This is where I am at. I have around 1400 manpower and almost 300 divisions total. I am transfering men to east to hit Russia at the end of summer. I hope we can redeploy in time. I will have to leave my fighters and interceptors in France to work on the British bombers that tick me off. I wish the stupid program would take the destroyed ICs off of the upgrade, replacements, or supplies, before it hits production.

I have not figured out what to do after I hit Russia. Maybe I will turn back to england. I can not do this now with out a great delay as I have 1 transport and my navy is still a year off in production. I currnly have 4 carries lvl V and 4 more lvl VIs in work. I am raiding the English now and almost lost 2 carries as I happened into their entire fleet in one battle.

10. Tomcat

You also risk your captured providence's rebelling.

Don't do that, I tried that onne and 20 French Divisions held back 100 of mine through that space. It was because I was unable to use all the divisions at once without over stacking.

You mean you have to continuously keep adjusting the sliders, because the bombing takes it of all of it, shouldn'y locking all but those sliders but the ones you mentioned fix that?

11. tikilal

tikilal Ace

I did not have any captured provinces at the time and now they all have at least one garrison div.

I was thinking about using strat bombers to destroy the fortifications. Then Attack one of the provinces with a stack of 24 (max with out penalty). This is the diversionary attack. Then attack the other one, the one that boarders 3 provinces with another 24 div all armor and mot div with 4 div of paratroops coming down on top, add in the max amount of ground attack aircraft and maybe I could win.

The other way, while less conventional will most assuridly work. back off of the boarder and let the frenchies come out. Still use strat bombers to destroy the forts (they are buggers at lvl10). Then Cun off the penatraton and head straight into France.

When you loose IC due to bombing it comes off of the production slider locked or not locked. so you have to adjust it or your prod suffers.

12. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

I started a Germany 1939 campaign. A deft military movement sealed off more than half of Poland's military in the first month. The quick conquest allowed me to move enough troops west quickly. Low Countries fell, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg. France fell extremely fast, due to the Vichy France event. For the heck of it, I tried to take Switzerland. Pain to me. Took 5 months for four provinces. Right after, I launched an invasion of the Balkans. After Yugoslavia fell, I managed to woo Italy onto the Axis. I also maintained a large force on the Polish border to watch the Soviets. By now, I was stretched thin, so I liberated Poland, Flanders, Wallonia, Switzerland, Croatia, Serbia, and all the other countries to avoid partisans. The rest of the Balkans fell by June 1940.

Having no one left to fight except Britain, I was bored. (My navy was destroyed in a series of battles while it was running to port. It was in the rebuilding phase, so no invasion of Britain.) I needed to hit North Africa, but Italy had already lost all their territories there. I declared war on Turkey, easily conquered it, and then liberated it. I repeated the process with Iraq. By the end of 1940, I took the Middle East, including Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and Oman. I liberated all countries, including Palestine and Jordan.

Facing the Brits across the Suez, I landed troops on Cyprus and Crete (Easy wins) I then launched a massive cross-canal invasion. 3-1 numerical superiority. I took most of Egypt, Sudan, and all of Libya in the resulting advance.

LOL funny part here. I allied, for a short while, with Nationalist China, who was surprisingly strong. Japan declared war on me, ALLIED with Britain. ATTACKED USA. Guess who the U.S.A. allied with? Yours truly.

Anyway, Soviets declare war on me, shortly after a meager force of 5 divisions conquer Denmark. Bulgaria remains the only non-Axis country in Europe. Now, my forces left in Poland pay off, and I hold any Soviet advance to a stalemate. Instead, I virtually pull out of Africa, leaving a sizable force at the Suez. I take my African troops, and invade the Soviets through Turkey, making extremely fast progress. Stalingrad falls without a major fight. Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan liberated. Progress on that front causes progress on the other front. Belarus and Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania are all liberated. Moscow falls May 1941. Leningrad a month later. The Soviets are crippled.

In North America, Canada captures Washington D.C., but of course, the tremendous U.S. IC rebounds after quite a bit of Canadian success. I thought the U.S. might lose with the fall of New York and the New England, but, on the Pacific, they enjoyed success in B.C. Soon, Canada is blue. But, the AI USA doesn't contribute much the rest of the game.

1942 through 1944 are slow years. With the conquest of most of the Soviet Union, I declare war on mountainous Afghanistan, and slowly invade India from that area. Nationalist China took whatever I did not manage to of Siberia. Japan is crippled, with no more footholds on the continent. I begin building up for Sea Lion, but decide to delay it in favor of a quick conquest of the Dutch East Indies, which is successful. My navy has bounced back, with a technological vengeance.

1945. Sea Lion and the end of the world is at hand. V2 rockets rain down upon Britain. Newly trained Marine divisions wait for the go signal. A mighty Luftwaffe stares down the valiant RAF. India is all but lost. I save the game for another session, and it CTDs!! I try loading, but there is an error. The autosave as well. A well-played and fun session unfinished...i cry...

13. Tomcat

I had that end loading problem in my Rome Total War, EB game when I controlled all of Europe and some of Russia.

14. tikilal

tikilal Ace

Soar, I gasp at the rapidity and expanse of your conquests up till the fall of Moscow in 1941.

15. Joe

Joe Ace

On invading France through maginot, 70+ divisions with paras and massive air support should do the trick.

16. tikilal

tikilal Ace

I am going to try this out. I will let you all know how it goes.

17. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

For those of you building Italian empires. Make sure you invade Barcelona at the beginning of the SCW and annex Spain. You will have a jumping point to Gibraltar, to take the rock with guaranteed success you will need around 20 divisions(10 should be mountain) and you need artillery brigades. If you build things right you should have a good attack force in Libya as well for a coming offensive. Have 4 transports and 8 infantry at Rhodes and make a landing at Tel-Aviv and run to Suez and then Alexandria.

The British will be pocketed as Alexandria is the only escape route ( the province below is 0 infrastructure so it makes a nice bottleneck. You should be able to destroy 20+ divisions in the process. After that is over, flood men into Iraq and hold a defensive line at south Egypt, and there you have it; North Africa is secure an the Med. is green. Italy cant get much farther past Iraq as the Persian mountains make a never ending see-saw so you will have to wait until reinforcements come from Germany to the north and they will take India very quickly . If the Japs do fight the reds in that certain event Germany will make it to Omsk and bitter peace will free up a further 100+ divisions that garrison SU and the war is basicly won.

An extra tip(untested), Vichy might be a good target as they will screw over Germany if they join the axis, you could expand through Algeria and hold Casablanca which will allow aircraft to bomb British convoys suppling Africa.

This strategy will work as I have already done it myself.

18. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

lol thanks, but its really a lot easier when the Soviets declare war, and leave a front COMPLETELY unguarded. I think taking Turkey is now going to be a routine part of every Germany campaign I play from now on.

19. SOAR21

SOAR21 Member

A random fact: my first HoI game ever, I played Italy. I invaded Portugal, then hit Spain during the civil war. Being my first game, my arse was royally handed to me, lol. I did not take terrain, command, supply, and air power into consideration. I lost 20 divisions in the failed attempt, and Spain gained Portugal. I was not fazed. I started a new 1936 game as Germany, and, impatiently, I invaded France. Again, my butt was ripped off and thrown to Poland, who invaded me from the east. Some bad memories there...

20. Totenkopf

Totenkopf אוּרִיאֵל

Something that will shock you all: Every once in a while the Japanese will DOW Soviet Union, what about this? Japan makes a landing in the province of Mazirbe..... all the way in Latvia!!!!!!!