Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What are the best board wargame?

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by HellWarrior, Feb 17, 2013.

1. HellWarrior

HellWarrior Member

Hi, I own the original Axis & Allies and I just bought Memoir44. I am curious. Do you have other war game that you can propose me? Mostly about world war 2 but it's ok if it's not.

Thanks for your help!

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

When you say Board Game, an old timer like myself think games from Avalon Hill and SPI. Very different from Axis and Allies.

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I think of the game "Battleship" as in You Sank My Battleship!

Where's my walker?

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

True military board games are hard to find, since computer games are so prevalent.

It depends on what you want to play, tactical, operational or strategic.

If you like Axis and Allies, there is a digital version available called TripleA.

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Check out Decision Games. lots of old style classic board games, though unmounted.

6. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Hasbros, Arnhem. You can then read all the threads on here and put folks ideas on what went wrong into action on the board. But follow the rules no shortcuts. Engineers cannot be used as storm troopers...I can definately attest to that one. You don't have any bridges when they are needed to cross the Son because your engineers are busy in the fields when they have gone off road a few miles to go hunting....Never works...not a good idea..

7. lwd

lwd Ace

If there is a gameing convention any where near you that's a good bet. Usually a fair number of board games along with RPG's and minitarures.

Last one I was at I got to play a couple that were quite good. The tactical WWII one had won a number of awards, blanking on the name but the company was just coming out with one on the Soviet Polish war.

8. HellWarrior

HellWarrior Member

What are the difference between those kind of games and what does mean tactical, operational and strategic game?

Thanks for your help!

9. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Tactical games tend to mean games that are at the company level or smaller (Platoon, Squad, individual) Operational level is usually formations of Battalion to Brigade engagements, while Strategic is usually Division and above like say the Eastern Front from the Baltic to Black sea. There are a few games that simulate the entire war.

HellWarrior likes this.
  10. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Good explantion, belasar.

Avalon Hill is and was the premier board wargame developer and manufacturer for years. I have a lot of their games. They were bought by Hasbro a few years back (boo-hiss)

Tactical games (at least the ones I have played) tended to have lot of pieces, to the point of having counters for individual weapons. The stacks of pieces in each hexagon could be quite prodigous. An example of this type of game is Squad Leader (actually it is Advanced Squad Leader now). You have to really want to play this game as scenerios can last quite a long time and learning it takes time, and lots of it. When I was in college, I participated in some games that lasted several weeks. Each hex represents an area about 50 meters across. An digital version of a game that is similar is Steel Panthers, World at War. Be prepared to devote a lot of time to it, also. It is free, BTW. I have not played it in a while because it does not seem to like Win7 and I have not set up an XP box to play it on. I've not had the time since I was writing a book.

Another tactical game I like was Wooden Ships, Iron Men. There is an online version of it out there too, but game development seems to have stalled at a basic game level. It simulates wooden sailing ship combat in the early 1800s.

An operation level board game is Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz. One is a development of the other, but I cannot remember which came first. The pieces represent either platoon or company sized units, but since it has been a good 20 years since I last played either... The games represent regimental and/or brigade sized formations and geomorphous maps represent many sqare miles of territory. It is not nearly as complicated as Squad Leader.

A strategic level game from Avalon Hil would be Fortress Europa or Axis and Allies. The games can be very complicated or fairly simple like A&A. Much of it is abstract and the pieces will not necessarily represent actual formations that existed, but an amalgamaion of unit types. If you want a real abstract game, play Diplomacy. It uses no dice; it is all negotiation and is more fun to play with a lot of people, which is hard to get together. It has an online version, but I have not ventured into that realm as the game take a long time to play and, well, you know the drill.

HellWarrior likes this.
  11. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

ASL is by far the best tactical wargame out there. It can also be the worst if you aren't into research and dropping a few hundred dollars on the rules, modules, scenarios & maps. Originally played it in college, and I got back into it while recovering from my recent back surgeries, I spent a lot of time reviewing ASL while I was laid up, It was the only outlet that would burn up several hours on ww2 without realizing it, all while flat on my back. Although not an official port of the game, the Combat Mission series is a very good computer version of ASL. They remain my favorite board and PC games to this day.

12. HellWarrior

HellWarrior Member

Thank you guys for your explanations. I really enjoy being with you on this forum. I think I will learn a lot about World War II.

Thanks again :)

13. lwd

lwd Ace

You might want to take a look at the Conflict of Heroes series by Acadamy Games. They felt a lot like a very cleaned up version of Squad Leader to me.