Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Mahross, Feb 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. 36thva2

36thva2 Member

Just finished Hell`s Guest by Col. Glenn Frazier and started on The Flying Greek by Col Steve Pisanos.
    Bill

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

well when it comes by weekend , 2nd TAC AF volume 3 by Chris Shores/Chris Thomas. will say the profiles in the second volume of Allied craft sure looked dark overall to me ........

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

4. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

Hi K-P

..do you actually READ the books you list here or just browse them ..just curious...
    Also, it would be interesting to read your brief comments on the books you do mention...

5. FramerT

FramerT Ace

Been reading "Tank Warfare during WWII" by George Forty and "Ambush Valley: I Corps Vietnam, 1967" by Eric Hammel.

6. texson66

texson66 Ace

Just finished the second of Atkinson's trilogy...Day of Battle. Great series. I am looking forward to his third and final book on the ETO.

My only real complaint was the fact I had to keep flipping back to the movement maps to follow some of the action in the narrative! Small price to pay!

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

A friend of mine offered some books for a "comrade price":

War without Garlands/Robert Kershaw
    Gallipoli/Les Carlyon
    A Visual History of 88 mm Flak in WW Two/Ampersand Publishing

8. 1911Colt

1911Colt Member

I picked up an old hc copy of Bodyguard of Lies by Anthony Cave Brown this a.m.
    Anyone ever read it? Thoughts?
    I'm gonna start it this weekend probably.

9. Kommando

Kommando Dishonorably Discharged

I'm currently reading this book:

Name of series: Andra Världskriget (World War 2)
    Title: Stalingrad - Röda Armén slår tillbaka (Stalingrad - the Red Army strikes back)
    Author: I have no idea, but it probably stands in the book somewhere.

It is a factual book. That's the way I like it. I only like to follow storylines in fantasy books really.

/Kommando

10. Mortman2004

Mortman2004 Dishonorably Discharged

Just finished reading "AN ACE IN THE 8th" By Norman "bud" Fortier About the 354th fighter squadron... today i started reading "ALL AMERICAN ALL THE WAY" By Phil Nordyke. Its a pretty exhaustive history of the 82nd Airborne Division In world war 2... A huge book but thus far Excellent and id higly reccommend it to anyone interested in the 82nd Airbornes operations in world war 2

11. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Last night I read "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu.

12. Tinpot warrior

Tinpot warrior Member

recently read, Stalingrad and Berlin by Anthony Beevor. Very good reads, very gripping reads.

Currently reading Apocalypse by Max Hastings. Plus recently unpacked an old box and found some Opsrey campaign books, so i'll be having a read of them too

13. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Im getting ready to start "Hitler and his Generals" by Helmut Heiber and David M. Glantz. Over 1000 pages!!!

14. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You'll be through by Saturday, then?

15. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

LOL. I don't think so! I thinkI will read it in increments LOL

16. Nostalgair

Nostalgair Member

"The Forgotten Few". by Doug Hurst. The story of 77 Fighter Squadron RAAF in Korea.

17. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Just finished the 3 Osprey titles that I have ordered Through my favorite discount book store site. US World War II Amphibious Tactics--Med and Europe, US Airborne Units in the Mediterranean Theater 1942-44 and Hitler's Home Guard: Volksturmmann.

18. John Dudek

John Dudek Member

I just finished "Days of Infamy" by former Senator Newt Gingrich. I'm not normally a big reader of alternative history, but this book was quite well researched and it flowed very well. I could easily pick holes at what inconsistancies there were, ie. US Wildcat fighterplanes carrying only 4-.30 caliber machineguns and a number of other mistakes, but what the heck, it was alternative history, afterall. It wasn't a bad summertime read while sitting in the hammock, sipping some beers.

19. John Dudek

John Dudek Member

I also recently finished reading "A Terrible Glory- Custer and the Little Bighorn" The Last Great Battle of the American West by James Donovan. This was another book that I really enjoyed. While it did not break any new ground about the man who has been called "the most enigmatic and recognizeable figure in the American West", George Armstrong Custer, the book went along way to bring this character to life, with all his faults, flaws and strengths. The one point about this book is that its writing style will appeal to both neophyte and serious history buffs alike. The storyline really moves and quickly carries you along back into the days of the Indian Wars on the American Frontier in the latter days of the 19th Century. Easily the best book that I've read so far this summer.

20. fsbof

fsbof Member

Just finished Max Hastings' Retribution. I was curious what he would write about the American-dominated Pacific war, and I think he did a masterful job of putting the US role in context with those of the other players. I must admit my knowledge about China's war with Japan is weak, so it was enlightening to read his account. I also knew that the Soviets declared war on Japan in the final days, but I had no idea of the scope of fighting that occurred in Manchuria after "hostilities" between Japan and the US had ended. I have now ordered a copy of his Armageddon which I am looking forward to reading after I finish my Pacific-themed reading.