Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Mahross, Feb 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

I recently read a two-part alternate WWII history: Fox on the Rhine and Fox on the Front. The premise is that the July 20th conspiracy succeeds in killing Hitler, but is outmaneuvered by Himmler, who seizes power. The first book was very well-done, but the second was a disappointment.

[ 13. August 2004, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Deep Web Diver ]

2. Fire_spit

Fire_spit Member

I just finished 'Flags of Our Father' and loved it. I have, not very long ago, also read 'Flyboys' and couldn't put the book down after I started it. According to what I have read in different sources and reviews, Flyboys is a highly accurate account of the airmen.

Right now I am making my way through the 39 volume Time Life WWII series...currently on "The Air War in Europe" This is a great series. Very interesting reading and lots of great pics.

Wayne

3. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Just ordered SS Hitlerjugend by Rupert Butler. It is part of the hardcover series put out by MBI and Casemate. There are now 5 books in the SS series that I know of- Liebstandarte, Das Reich, Totenkopf, Wiking and now Hitlerjugend. Someone else in the Forum told me that they had some trouble putting Polezi together. Does anyone know if that one is out yet, any others? [​IMG]

4. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

I'm about finished with The Forgotten Soldier (for school) thank Christ and have next to read Eye Deep In Hell and We Were Soldiers Once...and Young (also for school). I certainly hope that We Were Soldiers... is a lot better than the movie- it was so terrible that I walked out in the middle of it!

5. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Just reading 'victims of Yalta' by Nicholai Tolstoy, half heartedly because it isn't that good. I am only reading it until I get given something serious to read by university.

So, does anyone want Ian Kershaws phone number? I was given it yesterday!

6. Greenjacket

Greenjacket Member

Now reading Richard Holmes' study of the men of the British Army 1914-1918; Tommy

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

am going to be reding the kagero booklet 421st nfs and see if they have followed the history of the unit closely. have a couple of vet friends that served in it. Received my copy from England this afternoon. Also their latest kagero magazine full of pics but alas in Polish...........sniff

E ♪

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Just finished actually a book on WW1 Barrie Pitt´s "1918 the last act" which was quite good in my opinion.

Starting to read a book by Luftwaffe ace Julius Meimberg on his memoirs ( just released in Finnish ). Next a book on Russian front 1944 the German AGC collapse Paul Adair "Hitler´s greatest defeat".

;)

9. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

Flags of Our Fathers is an absolutely outstanding book. Flyboys is good, but not on par with Flags of Our Fathers in my view.

In Flags of Our Fathers, author James Bradley focused on his father's Marine unit during the battle for Iwo Jima. I think that book could only have been written by the child of one of the Iwo Jima flag raisers.

James Bradley does not have a personal connection to any of the Flyboys, which may be why it lacked the focus of Flags of Our Fathers.

10. David Barton (DB) Mathis

David Barton (DB) Mathis Member

Hey Guys, Some of you know me some of you don't. It's been a while since I've been around here. I got really busy with some family stuff.

Anyway, I'm reading "American Soldier" by General Tommy Franks. It's not WWII, but I thought It would be interesting, and so far it has been, very.

Also, I was thinking of what to read next. Maybe a soldiers story, like from a grunts point of view. Preferly Italy or France. Anyone know of a good one?

Glad to be back! Love the new smileys... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Welcome back, David! ;) Hope you don't abandon us again! [​IMG]

A soldier's story? From WWII? I could recommend you "Goodbye Darkness" by William Manchester, but it's a Pacific theatre USMC memoir… :confused:

12. wilconqr

wilconqr Member

Just finished GREEN EGGS AND HAM- but then who really gives a damn?!?!?!?!?! [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Forgot to mention:

I've been reading "Stupid White Men" and "Hey, dude, what have they done to my country?" in your honour, Wilconqr. :cool:

14. Bill Murray

Bill Murray Member

I just picked an older book (1979 copyright) in my favorite secondhand bookstore that I had never seen before. The name of the book is Yankee Samurai: The Secret Role of the Nisei in America's Pacific Victory by Joseph Harrington. I figure that I will get to this book within the next 2 weeks as I want to finish the one I'm currently reading first. I'll report back on the book upon my completion.

15. Deep Web Diver

Deep Web Diver Member

That sounds like an intriguing book Bill. I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

16. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Just finished Neillands 'Battle of Normandy. A good read but lots of editorial mistakes in it such as Hurricanes being used by the 2nd TAF!

Just started David Frasers 'And we Shall Shock Them'

17. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Herrmann, Hajo: Als die Jagd zu Ende war

..had to buy it as it also had Hajo´s signature on it....

;)

18. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

"The Hytler Myth" by Sir Ian Kershaw. Impressive and almost undebatable, as all the author's work…

"The Gethering Storm" by W. S. Churchill. I just love it, reading and re-reading it. The only History book with Nobel-Prize linguistic appeal and the only History book with Great-Statesman rethorics. [​IMG] :cool:

19. drache

drache Member

Drug up an old copy of "Cross of Iron" - saw the movie but the book tops it - very well written and engaging - recommended.

20. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Just finishing "Moscow Tram Stop" Heinrich Haape 1957 copy.

Story of the Barbarossa campaign beginning and the first winter by a doctor. Most interesting especially from my view point.