Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What have you been watching?

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Deep Web Diver, Dec 15, 2003.

1. WW2HistoryGal

WW2HistoryGal Member

Yes, that was Season 4. It wasn't nearly as good as the first three. I think it's because they had massive expectations from everyone to make this the Best.Season.Ever. And they failed. They took the essence of the show - Sherlock and Watson solving mysteries - and turned it upside down. That being said, they could re-right the ship if done properly, or they could make it worse. But if they decided to end it, I could live with such an ending, where all the threads are neatly tied up.

2. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper Patron  

Some great writing. ..Not a big Cucumber Hatchback fan.

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member

To be honest each season has been a departure from the previous one if you think about it.

Season One was pretty much a solve the mystery series. Season Two was in the end all about Moriarty. Season Three revolved around Mary and Season Four was about setting things back to square one in effect. The one thing about the 3rd episode was its lack of humor. Only the Mrs. Hudson's bits were intentionally funny, but then after the death of Mary they really could not go there, could they.

Mark Gatiss (Mycroft) as co-creator had a interesting comment about the 4th season and a possible 5th season. All previous incarnations of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson (original books and early films) showed them as much older men, set in their ways and the first four series was intended to show how they became those men. In the final montage the end shows them exiting the 'Rathbone' building showing how they would move in that direction.

the 'Final Problem' was intended to show Sherlock as finally becoming human rather than pure intellect. Not as smart as Mycroft or his sister, but stronger for finally accepting his humanity.

He also said that all participants are keen on a 5th season, but scheduling is a major problem, especially Cumberbatch.

4. WW2HistoryGal

WW2HistoryGal Member

I love his work. In fact, in October 2015, my daughter and I went to England to see him perform in Hamlet. He did an amazing job.

5. WW2HistoryGal

WW2HistoryGal Member

Yes, I had read an interview with Gatiss where he talked about this. And I agree 100% with what you said. I think Gatiss said that now Sherlock is the Basil Rathbone Sherlock.

I still enjoyed Season 4, but some of it was too bizarre. For example, the second episode with the villain, Culverton Smith, really didn't reveal who he had killed and how Sherlock came to the conclusion that he was a serial killer. That was a bit of a stretch. And the way it was filmed...I get that Sherlock was supposed to be so strung out on drugs that reality and hallucination sort of blended together. But it was hard to watch - not in terms of content, but that there was too many weird camera angles and things of that nature.

As always, though, I will need to go back and rewatch them in order to pick up on little nuances. Gatiss and his team are so brilliant in terms of writing and production that each episode is chock full of things you miss the first time 'round.

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

I've been in and out on the Sherlock series. I watched Season 1 but I'm not sure what other shows I've watched. I did see Episode 2 of the current season today in fact. It was confusing to say the least. I guess I'll watch the other episodes eventually, but I much prefer the original stories in book form. I'd rather read than watch TV. I have a hard time suspending my disbelief. I'm always aware that the are just actors playing a role. Probably one reason I don't watch much TV or movies.

7. belasar

Sherlock straddles the format of TV series and Film. at 90 minutes it seems a film, but part of your confusion stems from that through out series 2-4 events in one episode often drives the narrative in following episodes. Miss one and the others become confusing.

Very different from the original source material which was in short story style. Doyle had a love-hate relationship with the character and it showed in his writings. He was frustrated that his other works never became as popular as his Sherlock Holmes and he went so far to kill off the character in his famous struggle with Moriarty. Eventually he resurrected Sherlock without much explanation because of calls for his return from the public, but often he was lazy about it. Many latter stories just peter out because Doyle just could not come up with a clever ending and he would close with 'well case was very perplexing and we never solved it'

the Sherlock creators frankly say that much of the original source material is just plain bad, especially the latter stories, but they have lifted small parts to insert into 'classic' stories to make the material their own. Sometimes its a character name, or a location or a throw away humorous scene. They know the material back and forth and really do love it all, good or bad.

Pretty much all of our conception about Sherlock Holmes comes from the Rathbone/Brett era films which took their own liberties.

8. André7

André7 Active Member

Are there any really good Italian-made WWII movies? I just watched "Little Cannon" yesterday. It was a weird little movie comedy that ends "en queue de poisson" (leaving you hanging). I tried three times to watch "The Battle of El Alamein" and " Hell In Normandy" but they keep getting stuck in my craw.

I remember fondly a movie I saw on television when I was a kid starring David Niven called "My Best enemy" which I re-watched last week. It's a cute piece of fluff but really leaves you unsatisfied. And then there's "Life Is Beautiful" which isn't really a military type movie. "Rome Open City" and "Paisan" are two movies I've heard good things about but haven't seen.

Can anybody recommend any others for me to seek out? I'm talking battle movies from an Italian point of view?

9. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

Yes, there are. These are very good films: 1) [SIZE=11pt]Folgore Division (Divisione Folgore) (1955), 2) General Della Rovere (Il Generale della Rovere) (1959), 3) Italia's Secret (Il segreto di Italia) (2014), 4) Men and Skies (Uomini e cieli) (1947), 5) Nights and Fogs (Notti e nebbie) (1984), 6) Phantoms of the Sea (Fantasmi del mare) (1948), 7) Paisan (Paisà) (1946) 8) [/SIZE]Rome, Open City (Roma, città aperta) (1945), 9) [SIZE=11pt]Sailors Without Stars (Marinai senza stelle) (1948), 10) The Battle of Algiers (La Battaglia di Algeri) (1966), 11) The Conformist (Il Conformista) (1970), 12) The Four Days of Naples (Le quattro giornate di Napoli) (1962) 13) The Ones With White Lips - The Forgotten (Sos laribiancos - I dimenticati) (2001), 14) The Tank of 8 September (Il carro armato dell'8 settembre) (1960), and 15) The Train with the Cross (Images for Il treno crociato) (1943).[/SIZE]

10. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

I watched the Norwegian film 'The King's Choice' (Kongens Nei) the other day. This is a very historically accurate film about about the events that took place in Norway between 9th and 11th of April 1940, which ultimately led to Norway's decission to continue fighting the Germans and the royal familys escape.

This is a very good film with first class actors.

11. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Sitting here watching the Big Chill. Don't ask me why.

12. belasar

Why! Why? Why!

Running through the one (and only) season of The Lone Gunmen.

Just good enough to remind me why I liked the classic seasons of the X-Files :)

13. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

14. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

Yesterday I saw the 2016 film 'Allied', a very good WWII spy drama with Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard in the leading rolls.

Plot description i Wikipedia

"In 1942 during World War II, Royal Canadian Air Force intelligence officer Max Vatan travels to Casablanca in French Morocco to assassinate the German ambassador. He is partnered with a French Resistance fighter named Marianne Beausejour, who had escaped from France after her resistance group was compromised and killed.

The two pose as a married couple and grow close, despite agreeing that in their line of work feelings can get people killed. Marianne, who is trusted by the Germans, secures Max an invitation to the party where they plan to conduct the assassination. On the day itself, they make love inside a car in the middle of a desert sandstorm, knowing that they might not survive. However, the mission goes well and they both escape. Max asks Marianne to come with him to London and be his wife. The two get married, settle down in Hampstead, and have a baby girl named Anna.

A year later, Max learns from the Special Operations Executive that Marianne is suspected of being a German spy, having adopted her identity after the real Marianne was killed in France. In order to test their suspicions, SOE run a 'blue dye' operation: Max is ordered to write down a piece of false intelligence at home, where Marianne can find it. If the information is picked up from intercepted German transmissions, Max must personally execute her, or be hanged for treason. Max is told otherwise to act normally.
    Defying orders, Max visits a former colleague Guy Sangster who knew Marianne but, blind from a wartime injury, cannot confirm her identity. He reveals that the resistance fighter Paul Delamare worked with Marianne in France and would be able to identify her. Max seeks out a young pilot named George Kavanagh, gives him a picture of his wife, and instructs him to ask Delamare whether she really is Marianne. However, the following night, Max hears that Kavanagh was killed whilst waiting on the ground for the answer. He also hears that the whole operation might be a test, before he is given a big job in the run up to D-Day.

The following night Max takes the place of a Lysander pilot and flies to France to meet with Delamare, who, it transpires, is being held at the local police station. Max and the resistance break into the jail to confront Delamare. He is drunk, but remembers that Marianne was a beautiful pianist.

Back in England, Max takes Marianne to a local pub and demands she play the piano. Marianne cannot play, and admits she is a spy. She claims her feelings for Max are genuine and that she and her child were being threatened by German spies in London, including the woman who lives around the corner and often looks after Anna.

Max, unwilling to kill his wife, tells her they need to leave before the SOE catches them. He kills Marianne's handlers before trying to escape from the airfield, but they are intercepted before they can board a plane. Marianne tells Max that she loves him, asks him to take care of Anna, then shoots herself. The commanding officer orders the soldiers present to report that Max executed Marianne as per his orders, so that Max himself will not be punished.

After the war, Max moves to the ranch in Canada that was always his ambition, and raises Anna. The film ends with Marianne reading the letter that she had earlier written to her daughter, anticipating that one day her real identity would be uncovered."

15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper Patron  

Yeah,KJ, i watched it again too...Remembered it as a well written movie. But on watching it again- boring...Thinking entertainment has really evolved. A well written script is ageless, Shakespeare for example...But hollywood manages to make him look bad as well.
    Picked apart the movie this time...
    Die hollywood- let the Chinese have it. ..Only the weak minded follow hollywood or any of its 'stars'/fame...lol - brian singer, ashton kutcher, madonna, cher, streep etc etc. ..Could all be replaced by a casting couch call or CGI.
    hollywood is synonymous with freaks/drugs. Good riddance. barry too

16. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

Yesterday I watched the Russian WWII war film 'The Panilov's 28' (Dvadtsat vosem panfilovts) (28 панфиловцев). This is an exceptionally good film, and probably the best Russian/Soviet WWII film ever for me. The film is very realistic and the plot is true to what really happened to the 28 soldiers who remained before the final German attack. The legend has it that all died, but that is not true.

Regrettably there is, so far, no English subtitles, but subs for some other languages can be found on Open Subtitles. I used a Serbian subtitle that was auto-translated into English; not the best of dialogues but quite o.k. after some tweeking.

The Panilov's 28 is highly recommended.

Otto likes this.
  17. WW2HistoryGal

WW2HistoryGal Member

Hotel Berlin on TCM. Wish I could buy it on DVD but it's not available.

18. stgrhe

stgrhe Active Member

You may not find a DVD but there is a Danish chap that sells this title as a DVDR. The quality may be slightly lower than a DVD, but good to fair.

http://www.rarewarfilms.com/Hotel%20Berlin%201945%20%20WWII.html

19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Watched a document on type XXI sub. It could fire 20 torpedoes altogether, 18 in 18 minutes due to automatic loading, and stay invisible under the see even close to destrouyers etc. I guess we are happy they did not get it working in 1943....

If I got it right they made some 130 but due to crew practice to use the boat they needed some 6-8 months to do it, and by then it was too late. The fellow that was taking care of the massive number of batteries downstairs must have been quite sad as he was on a board moving around above massive number of the batteries and trying not to touch the them while taking care of them...

20. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper Patron  

Oak Island is driving me nuts...They have had so many theories.
    Now it is Marie Antoinettes jewels...From day 1 they had espoused flood tubes originating from the bay...Why not expose those tubes and follow to the booty.
    Every episode is- (radio voice): a piece of wood? Could it be a tell tale sign of buried treasure?- Tune in next time for the stunning conclusion... pffft